Monday, July 14, 2008

Returning home....

It is always an adjustment to return home after a trip anywhere, especially one to see my parents. It is like we all go into a withdrawal. The kids are so used to the love, affection and extra attention, being back home with less of that is hard. Erin was glued to me most of yesterday soaking up every hug and kiss with desperation....not that I mind! Zach's time is all messed up...he did great out there and Erin was the one that couldn't adjust to the time change...now that we are back his clock is off....he has been up at 5:30 the last two mornings in a row...not fun! He has speech in town around 12, so lets hope he doesn't start to get tired by then from being up so darn early. He asked right away yesterday to get back on a plane and go back to 51 and see Nowie and Grandpa. (He calls my mom Nowie instead of Noni...that was all he could say at the time and it stuck!) 51 is their house number and the boy loves his numbers...
I also had the issue of just house stuff. I had to vacuum, but I love that since I love my vacuum...I know I am pathetic, it is the little things that make me happy people. There was a huge power outage while we were gone...10 hours! So, needless to say my frig had to be emptied. I was not too happy with that since it was pretty full of things I had bought pre trip so I wouldn't have to go the store right away...On the positive side, it gave me an awesome excuse to clean out my fridge and it needed it. I spent over $200 at the commissary though...not good.
My friend Erin that watched my Erin took care of our mail, plants and house...my plants looked awesome! I was so happy to come home and see that...usually they die sad deaths when I am gone. Sally was picked up from her new kennel...she had been going to a place in town for about 2 years and suddenly when we called to make her reservation their answering machine said they were closed...strange. Big for sale sign out front...I am sure mortgage issues to blame. So we got her a new place and she did well...she slept all day, exhausted from her week there. Got a nice bath and is so soft. She will be back to being insane tomorrow!
For me it is always hard to leave my parents...it just is. I tried this time not to cry, it only freaks out the kids and has me feeling worse. It is hard to know they aren't as accessible to me I think. I am glad that I got to see their new house though. It was so great to see...my mom did a fantastic job decorating it and the area they live is so nice. It was wonderful to be back "home". They live in Greensboro which is part of the triad...my sister lives in High Point and we grew up outside of Winston-Salem. So, I was able to go back to Winston and see that area too....always makes me feel good. I always wish I had more time to be with my parents, but so thankful for any time I get. They are amazing parents and wonderful grandparents. My children are so lucky! I honestly just love to watch them interact...to see Zach and Erin around my mom and dad is a gift and something I will treasure always. They know they are loved and are just so happy with my parents. I am glad they have them in their life.
But, now it is back to reality...Brandon will be on TDY this week to Abilene...then next week to Travis AFB...I was planning to go, but now think I won't because we would have to change around lots of appointments for a short trip...maybe another time. Lots to do before he leaves...time is fast approaching. I hope it goes this fast when he is gone, but I know that it won't. I will post this now and add some pictures...I will do that in a separate post though...
Happy Monday!!!

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Sounds like you had a very good trip...but I totally understand how difficult it is to leave. I miss my mom, being so far apart. It makes me sad that I see Chris' mom every single day, but only see my mom a few times a year...

Susan said...

That must be strange and a bit hard to see his mom and have your so far away...thankfully I don't see Brandon's mom...we do not get along!