Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Friends?

Okay...I have discussed the subject a few times in my blogs already, so here I go again. I really have been amazed over my time here at Edwards with how difficult and different it has been for me to find, make and keep friends. Literally at no time in my life has it been so hard for me and I am baffled by it to be honest. I am so very thankful to people that make up my life and are my dear friends. I am honestly blessed to have such amazing and diverse friends. It is hard to imagine my life without some of them in it...it would be quite an empty place. I have moved a lot in my life and been fortunate enough to keep up with a lot of friends over the years. Some friendships have gotten lost along the way and others have been rekindled. Some eb and flow like any relationship where we talk more some weeks or months than others...it usually is never a real reflection on the friendship. Simply we get busy. I can't say how thankful I am for the friends I have. I love the quote that says, "Friends are the family you choose for yourself." How true is that? I also like the philosophy that some friends come into your life for different reasons. Some are meant to be there for a lifetime and others for just a short time...I think you never know this until much later which one they will be...but it is so true. Some people are there simply to teach us a lesson or help us through a time in our life, but others are just meant to be in our life.
I have noticed a lot of things lately. I don't do the friend for convenience thing really well and it seems like a lot of people here are all about that. I just don't have that in me...I guess to me it feels like a waste of time. I want a friend for more than an assignment...a play date...to say hi to around town...I want someone that is my FRIEND. I am always amazed at how easy it is to just catch up and talk to my real friends. It is just like we saw each other yesterday and it could have been years...i know I should call my friends more often. Email is too easy! I hope I can make more time to call my friends, send more personal emails and even letters...to make that extra effort and above all visit them. I would love to plan a girls weekend with some friends...all meet at a spa...seriously anyone reading this that wants to even consider this I think it would be awesome! Yes, no kids...
I also am fascinated at the fact that there comes a point in our lives when we stop having friend of the opposite sex. Is it when we get engaged, married? I know I have friends, but they are usually Brandon's friends that are mine by default...or old friends that we share an email or two every few months and talk about superficial stuff. What happened to all those great guy friends I had at one time? I will say I have been lucky enough to find an old friend again and through the luck of things we have gotten back into talking and being friends...he is amazing. He always has been someone I can be very honest with and trust and I love that he doesn't put up with my crap...he calls me out on thing and I think that is great...I don't love it, but I need it and that is a true friend. (Renee and Kelly you are also in this category). I am glad to have him back as my friend and in my life, but how rare is that? It seems like we lose that ability to be friends with people of the opposite sex and have it just be platonic and that is sad...it is nice to have a friend that can see the other perspective at times. Lord knows I don't speak man and I can use all the help I can get some days!
I guess this is a post to all my friends...I love you all. I really couldn't have made it through a lot of the last year or two without some of your support, comments, love and concern. It is amazing how much that gives me strength. I am always hopeful that a new assignment and move will bring me closer to you and let us have more time together. Even when I don't show it or say it enough, I am grateful for each and every one of you...I love my friends...my family...the AF has taken me far away from my real family, but it has allowed me to meet and make a new family that I am forever thankful for having....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Days when we don
t have enough time to talk, I can catch up on your blog. I hate your friend issue. Your are a beautiful person and people should be blessed having you as a friend. Wish I lived closer...Love you bunches. Mom ox

Kelley said...

I am really loving your blog...it always takes us into the inner workings of your mind, and I feel like I'm getting to know you even better, everyday.

Sometimes it is difficult to make friends. I remember when I lived in Colorado Springs, I went through a period kind of like you are right now. Nothing seems to click. The good thing is that there will come a day when you do move, and you'll have another shot at finding those special people.

It's unfortunate that they aren't everywhere!!!

Unknown said...

I love that quote, Friends are Family we pick for ourselves...so true!

I hope Brandons trip to Travis gets rescheduled. You should really come with him next time! Or if Chris gets another business effort to Edwards!

AprilJ said...

You make some excellent points... especially about email vs. calling. Now with kids, it makes being on the phone a whole new adventure :( I think a litmus test of friendship is how easily you can pick back up with that person despite a lag in communication, for whatever reason. I miss you and wish I was closer.. maybe Brandon wants to change planes??? (just kidding) Miss you! xoxo