Wednesday, July 9, 2008

More NC stuff...

We took the kids yesterday into Winston-Salem and went to the children's museum. We had breakfast first at my favorite place, the Desertery and then off to the museum...had a blast and it was well worth it. Then off to my other favorite, TJ's Deli for lunch then home. My parents live in Greensboro, my sister in high point and Winston is the third city in the triad area. I actually grew up in Winston and in an outer area, Clemmons (mostly of there). It was nice to be back in my old terrain and I felt comfortable...funny how that is. Knowing roads, seeing old places, having a favorite place to eat and knowing just what you want before you even go in...stuff I miss.
I can't deny these trips make me homesick. Moving so much with the AF life homesick is just part of it. I was so homesick for Tucson when we moved to Idaho after we got married...I cried all the way to Utah I think. I was still home sick when we got to Enid, OK...At that point NC was always my home, where my childhood and past lived...but Arizona had taken on a new place in my life. My parents were there, my life in college, friends, new memories...so much of the new part of me had been born there. Then we went to Abilene and I missed Enid a bit...friends mostly, but soon grew to like life there and it became home after four years. Now I find myself missing Abilene a ton when I am at "home" at Edwards. I will always miss here like most people miss where they grew up...memories are amazing like...they become more like dreams with time I think...you forget so much bad and remember so much good. :) I would love to live here one day to be closer to family and friends and to be settled somewhere I think would be great to raise a family...but I know that might not be in our cards. I am right now pretty okay and even excited at the thought of going back to Abilene...so we will see...homesick is relative I guess...
My day today was going to Hobby Lobby...something I haven't done since I left Texas...Oh how I miss that store and my HUGE bill today proved that...so I bought 3 years worth of not buying in one day...I guess that is a way to look at it. I got a ton of scrapbook items and things I don't have access to at my house...and some cute home accessories too. Couldn't resist really. I had a nice time out by myself...Brandon golfed and the kids and grandparent time. We had dinner with my sister and her family...I have to say one thing...my kids are eating machines on this trip. Zachary is a toothpick...33 pound at 4...tiny. Erin is 19 at 13 months...not big either...but man can they eat here. Zach has eaten more here than he has eaten at home for months...so great to see him trying new foods and meals aren't a nightmare for me...well until we get home. Erin has rejected her bottle and formula for 2 days straight. Our doctor had talked me into keeping her on it for a few more weeks since her weight was off so much from how her growth was going earlier in the year...I guess she has discovered food and is over it...she eats everything...it is adorable and wonderful...
As always my time with my parents seems too short...I feel like tempers run short and we all just get so worked up with such limited time...trying to fit it all in and enjoy...I know I am guilty of it as much as anyone. I miss them so much and really feel so blessed to be so close to them and have the relationship we do...they are awesome parents. Life is short and I have to learn to calm down, take a breath and live each day...I wish it were that easy for me some days to just do it and not know I need to do it...be patient, be kind, use a nice tone of voice with people, enjoy all things good and bad and just live in the moment...not worry so darn much...this is what I hope I can achieve in myself in the next few months...things are going to suck time to time...I need to get over it and just live my life the best I can.
OK...off to bed now I hope. Erin has had an off day with sleep and refusing her bottle...so we hope that she isn't sick with ear issues and is just showing her personality...I will get pictures up soon...

1 comment:

Kelley said...

First of all...did you ever think you would miss ABILENE!? Ha!! It's not so bad, now is it? :)

I know what you mean about the "living in the moment" stuff. So easy to understand but so hard to practice. I'm working on it too.