Monday, September 29, 2008

Wow...

Well today was a big wow day if you had eyes and looked the tv...what a mess. I don't really know what to say and if you know me, you know I am not often at a loss for words. This is a huge freaking mess. I don't think the "bailout" plan was perfect, but I also don't think it was "sold" to Americans correctly...again our leaders not talking to the American public in a way they can understand. I am not wealthy (I know you are all shocked right now by that announcement)...we have 529 accounts for the kids and Roth IRAs for ourselves, but nothing really in the stock market of great value. I never really check those accounts to be honest...I am too busy checking my savings, checking and credit card accounts. I really didn't see the immediate affect this would have on me until I really looked at my life...right now we own two cars...one is almost 9 years old and one is 5. We live in base housing....but we should be up for a new assignment next summer, which means a move...a house on base isn't always a guarantee or option. So...we will be in need of a possible house and a car by next summer...loans...help from banks...now I see problems. It is scary to think of this in that perspective. I have good credit and we have worked hard to pay off debts and be in a good position to borrow money when the time comes...but will there be money to borrow? It is a scary time to think of my parents...retired and not looking forward to their retirement funds, but living on them. And my kids...one day this mess will be their mess too no matter what plan we choose. I think that America was given a line of wall street bailout that didn't transfer to what it means to everyone...it is a national issue and a global issue...a mess.
On a similar note...got my absentee ballot this week in the mail and mailed Brandon his today...I haven't voted or sent it back in...I wish I could say this was an easy one for me...I am sure and know the right choice...right now I am choosing not the best candidate for all the things I think we need in this country, but rather trying to figure out the lesser of the two evils....
Warning...if you don't want to be offended by my opinions stop reading...I plan to voice it...
I like John McCain. I really do...I think he is a great American, he was a great soldier and I admire a lot of things about him. I am tired however of hearing about his POW status all the time...and about the surge. I know he was a POW...he will always be honored for that...but I need to know what he will do as my president to ensure me a better life, my kids and our country. The surge was great too...but what now...ideas, solutions! And then there is Sarah Palin. Man I tried to like her. Yeah he picked a woman...a woman that is pro life in all instances...something I do not support or agree with...I am not pro abortion...I am pro choice and pro the fact that we all have circumstances we must make decisions and live with those consequences. Even John McCain is more liberal on that stance and I can at least agree with the fact he can support it in cases or rape and incest. She is gun toting Alaska hokey mom...but again...what does that mean she can do for my country and me...I am not sure much other than give Tina Fey great material for Saturday Night Live.
Then there is Obama...okay my conservative friends...stop reading now so you don't disown me...I am saying it...I wanted Clinton...I would have voted for her in a heartbeat and that is a fact. I like her and I am saying it here on my blog, so deal with it. Obama has made some leaps in gaining my support, but I am not fully sold on some things. I do like Joe Biden a lot and that helps...I think it showed good judgement to pick someone like him to stand by him. I think he handled himself well in the debate, not just with answers but his demeanor was easy going and comfortable...he talked to McCain and directed things to him as poor Jim Leher tried to get him and McCain to both do...I agree with Obama on a lot of issues, but several I don't. And with both of them I am not at all in favor of their immigration stance. See this is where you all have me pegged as a crazy liberal, but I am not...I sit on the fence a lot, with one leg on each side and see points I like and don't. I am pro choice, but I support the death penalty...democrat for one, republican the other. I am not on board for the whole immigration reform crap. Sorry. I went to college in Arizona...I lived in Texas for four years and now in southern CA...or shall I say northern Mexico...my son goes to a special ed preschool and has autism, but is in class with an ESL (English as a second language) student. I am tired of going into town and not understanding the vast majority of people that are around me and what they are saying. My grandparents and great grandparents were immigrants...they came to this country and learned English...got jobs, paid for their way through life and didn't "mooch" off the government. When I worked in TX at a domestic violence shelter my eyes were opened to some things...people using the ER for routine things....our ER here in the Antelope Valley is one of the busiest in the US for that reason. It really bothers me...sorry.
So at the end of this...I have not marked a box...I will, but so far, i am not sure which one it will be. The mess our country is in isn't going to be fixed by either of these men taking office in January...we have a lot of work to do as a country and that isn't something one person, no matter how great, can do on their own. It is sad to me to even say that, but it is what I think none the less.
There is my rant...take it for what it is worth or not...I am just not sure what to think about the future of this country tonight...we are in a mess and it is scary and sad...
I am off to bed now...I have seen and heard and said enough...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog today. If people get offended - sorry. The last time I looked we still have "freedom of Speech". I have always said "I may not agree with peoples views, but I will always respect them". Don't change - love a gal with an opinion of her own. Love you..........

Kelley said...

Good for you, voicing your opinions. It's your blog, say what you feel! And ps, I was all for Hillary Clinton too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog. You may find some similar opinions at mine -- http://specialneeds08.blogspot.com