Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wednesday already...at least things are getting done.

So more exciting speeches tonight from the DNC...it has been fun to watch and get my interest peeked in the election!
Brandon took Zach to speech tonight and he had a great night. He had a good morning at speech school too, so all in all a good Zach day. He was tired tonight at bed time, so I think the full week of daily school is catching up to him, but it works for me...I like tired kids at bed time. :)
Erin and I walked to the salvation army truck on base to drop off some items this AM while he was at school and Brandon was doing his finally out stuff for work...long walk, but nice! We stopped by the old neighborhood and again I just get so sad seeing it all abandoned and depressing. Houses of friends that have moved empty...just sad...so I might have to stop going to that park for a while.
Got some things done for Zach's school...finally I think progress is occurring. We have his IEP (individualized education plan) yearly meeting set for September 25th...I have a sitter set up and that should be to discuss his progress, adjustments, etc. Last year at the meeting I got his diagnosis....I was alone (had Erin in my arms) and again this year I will attend alone. It can't be as scary as that since he has a diagnosis already...so I am hopeful it will be a good meeting and we can make some changes if needed. I did learn that the OT (occupational therapist) at his school quit. Seriously...we have been asking for OT for a year now. So, I called the special education coordinator and spoke to her for over an hour today. He has an IEP for that particular issue on September 3rd...Brandon deploys that day, so I will not attend, but allow them to add that to his IEP and I will sign it. When they get the new person hired and on board, he will get that while at that school. Currently he gets speech therapy while there for about 20 minutes out of his hour and a half school time. I know it isn't much, but it is what we have to work with and I will take all I can get. I also got a call from his new caseworker for behavior. I think he has 4 or 5 caseworkers...insane. This man also wanted to meet on the 3rd, but I told him no...he will meet me on the 8th and talk about what to do with Zachary's possible behavioral therapy. We go in spells...some weeks he is an absolute angel...this week and last being one of those...and then we have weeks that just make me want to lock myself in my room. Mostly the big issue is we hear over and over that he has a hard time sitting still in class and is squirmy. I know that is a normal 4 year old thing, but also a normal autism thing...so we must have it assessed to see which one his is, or if it is something else entirely. Regardless I am glad to see that after a year of these therapies being requested we are making progress to getting them. He has an open house tomorrow at his speech school, so we are planning to go to that from 5-6 PM. There is a great Mexican restaurant there, so we can tie that into our night.
Tomorrow he has school in Palmdale...Brandon and I will go together to take him...then housing is coming to fix our fan in the bedroom...then apparently Brandon's new commander wants to come by and see us...I am not sure what to think of this, but I will try to stay positive and not judge. I am so used to be in a squadron that works differently...where we go to First Fridays, know the leadership and they know us. I would have already talked to them before since Brandon is deploying in a few days...So...I will see how it goes. All in all, a busy day ahead for sure...
Below a few random photos, just for fun!
Erin being silly and sweet...stealing my shirt I am trying to photograph for Ebay...stinker.
Zachary...home after speech...super tired and ready for bed, but still oh so cute.
Crazy Sally...Oh my silly dog...she makes me laugh and the kids love her...
And me...Photo by Zach...I look so tall! Gotta love that he can make me look tall in a photo...

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Lots of stuff happening (finally) with Zach. I know that makes you happy!! Let us know how the visit with the commander goes...interesting. And that blue you are wearing in that photo...that is definitely your color girl, you look gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Wow lots of into on the blog today. The commander thing sounds interesting. Let me know. Can't wait to hear about the open house. Erin is just too cute. And of course Zachary ---what can I say:) You look beautiful...love the color on you.