Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Good Start

Well my Zachary Jay always amazes me...he handled today so well. We got to school...ON TIME! Yes, I was on time. I was even shocked by that. He walked in and went right to the teacher, said, "Hi Ms. Fabi!"...then he hugged her. He showed her his new lunch box...I got him a new one and wrote his name on it. He packed his own lunch...most of which he didn't eat, but he packed it and was proud of that. He saw his name on his cubby and was thrilled,"That says Zachary...that's my name." Then he thanked her. So cute. I left and went about my day with lots of butterflies and nerves...it went too well...I couldn't help but worry that he wouldn't do as well all day. Well, I got him at 12...went early to spy on him on the playground. He greeted me with a huge smile and hug. She said he did really well and had a great day...he was a bit fidgety...but have been dealing with that issue for about 6 months and have our eye on that being a new problem...always something. He seemed excited on the way home and that is all I can ask for. Otherwise the day went well. He was good and had a good day. He did some good pretend play...built things out of blocks in his room...I took photos, but didn't have time to upload. He usually doesn't build much, stacks and destroys...he built a freeway in his room for his cars. :) He kept getting upset with Erin and I told him if he wanted to play and not have her get in his way he would have to go in his room and play by himself with something. He went in and shut the door after I took out the blocks and got him started on building...when I left it was a crappie tower and came back to an interstate. I was so proud of him. Hopefully he will continue to understand he has to share his house, some toys and me with Erin. This is all becoming more and more of an issue as she is getting more mobile, curious and aggressive. She sleeps less so there is less alone time with me and with his toys around the house. So...all a learning process.
I supper nannies myself tonight and wrote a daily schedule for us. Basically a chart of times and activities. He does so well with schedules and his one at school. I think him having the visual aid in the house will be a big help in the coming weeks to keep us on track for bath, bedtimes, meals, etc. NO, I don't think it will fix the meltdowns and missing daddy, but will help him know what to expect and get him in schedule we will keep every day...continuity where I can get it.
We had a long talk tonight about learning to be a big boy in the house, sharing mommy and daddy leaving. We have slowly been gearing up for this since we wanted him to start school without added stress...but it is time to talk about it and get him aware that soon it will be just me. He has started to get more jealous of Erin and vice verse. It will be a test for both of them and for sure me, but I know we all can do it. It is wonderful to have him want me and need me...he asks me to play and do things now. So, I hate to turn him down, but some times he has to wait or do something else because of Erin...
I continue to read my Serenity prayer at night...always a good reminder.
God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
I can't change autism...I can't change the things in him that work differently, I can work on helping him learn and understand the right ways to do things and new options. I NEED to work on knowing when to push and when to not...that is my big job and something I am working on daily...
So...off to read and get to bed...thankful for some prayers answered!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again loved your blog. I still see a book in your future. Love you. Mom

Kelley said...

Yay! So great to hear that Zach's first day went so well. That is wonderful news. I think the visual schedule will help him too. Good luck to you with the jealousy issues and the kiddos learning to share mom, toys, etc. I'm sure that will take some time, and getting used to Daddy being gone will be an adjustment. One day at a time...

Unknown said...

Way to go Zach!