Thursday, August 28, 2008

Busy Day!

So today we had a busy schedule and by tonight, it was clear the kids were done...
Zach had preschool this AM in town...Brandon went with me since he isn't going into work until he leaves Wednesday AM (9/3). He spent most of the AM on the phone with people trying to tie up loose ends. A bit annoying to me, but it was nice to have him around none the less. We got a few items for the kids for Christmas gifts...since he won't be here, it was a good chance for him to get things for them with me. Picked up Zach and he had a good day at school...he had a picture he colored in his cubby box...I took it out and then rechecked the name on the box...sure at first it wasn't his. It was actually colored, not scribbled in a rush. You could tell he pressed down with the crayon, stayed in the lines more than normal and put time into it...I was shocked. I asked the teacher if he really did that or they helped him. She told me, "No, that is his. I told him he is in pre-K now and he has to do work...no scribbles in my room anymore." I like this lady. She says it in a nice way with a smile, but she means business. I could have kissed her. I kissed Zach instead.
We got home to have the fan repair guy arrive within the hour... he happens to be the only cute maintenance guy on the whole base. I was happy he showed up since he also is one of the few to speak English...sorry, it is hard to ask for help when no one understands me. He fixed our fan and Erin's closet door that had an issue...all is well with that for this week...the house will implode next Thursday and the kids will be sick by the following weekend...that is how deployments work.
Then Brandon's new commander came by with his wife and two kids. He just took command about a week ago from the commander we have had for 2 years....He was a piece of trash in my opinion as a leader. Anyway...this man is very nice, sincere, and easy to talk to from my stand point. I didn't feel that air of attitude, but genuine interest in me and my children. His wife was great...spoke to me about my daily life to get an idea of our schedule, the kids personalities, etc. She knew about Zach and asked questions and offered information that was appropriate. She even offered to help if I ever had an issue getting someone to watch Erin for his therapy or school. It felt like she meant it. So...that was great. Their kids are young, so they get that aspect too. All in all it was nice they came by and offered help to us and reached out in a sincere way when I really needed to hear that...I am not too proud to ask for help now (I am wise enough now to know when I am in over my head)...so hopefully I will be able to turn to them if I am in need.
Then we had some time before the speech school open house in Boron...Erin was fussy and went back down for a nap...she slept late and we were rushed to get to the school. It was about 108-109 today...super hot outside with no breeze, no clouds, just heat! The school is small about a 30 minute drive from our house...so we got there only to wait while everyone was jammed in the cafeteria with no air...we hung out under a tree...HOT...a friend of mine whose son also has autism was there...she and her husband aren't super warm, so it is sometimes awkward to chat...should be easier since we live here and have things in common...our boys are in different classes and also at different levels right now...Zach has had marked improvement in a year and theirs seems to be having more issues pop up than go away. She did offer to hang out next Friday afternoon, so I will go...I refuse to say no...seems like if I do that here no one asks me again. :) She also mentioned that if I don't have plans for Thanksgiving they will be here and I can join them if I don't mind it being simple...I said sure...so we will see if I get any other offers...I am game!
Then we tried to go to dinner...it didn't go as well as we planned...it was busy and the kids were hot, tired and done...we rushed and left with a box...so not the best, but we tried.
I cleaned the back porch up today too and we moved the table into a better spot and set the umbrella up...hopefully the insane winds here don't knock it over...All in all a good day, busy and long...I am ready to watch some CNN coverage of the DNC that I missed....
I enjoyed watching Senator Biden last night and loved his speech. I like him a lot and wish he was the nominee to be honest. After working at a domestic violence shelter, he is a hero in our books for writing the violence against women act...He had some wonderful comments about his family, his thoughts on life and I loved his comments on power.
So...tomorrow I head to get my stitches out again...plan to read most of the rest of my book while there. :) No fun plans for the weekend...packing and spending time together...whatever it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cara,
Sounds like a busy but eventful day. The commander and wife sound like nice people and think you can count on them. Yea for Zachary with his coloring. He is more amazing each day. Sorry dinner didn't go as expected , but you tried. Your blog starts my day. Love you............:) Mom

Kelley said...

Well!! Yay for this commander and his wife! Some sincere offers of help, now that is just what you need. ENJOY this last weekend together!!