Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Busy week...

So far this has been a bus week...My parents got off to an early start Tuesday and left right after Zach headed off to school. I then got Erin ready for school and took her...headed to Walmart for some shopping...I hate to go with the kids, so I chose that day to go alone and get what I needed. I then headed home, unpacked it all, showered and headed off to meet with the advocate we are using for Zach's revised ARD (IEP) we are asking for. Ran from that back to pick up Erin...then home to gather up some things...pick up Zach at school and then drive to New Braunfels for speech and OT...then home at 5:30. Whew!
The process for this ARD is very different because it isn't an annual one or a re-evaluation, we are requesting the one they did in October be revised based on some inconsistencies in it and some issues that we see occurring. Because it is a legal document that the school makes regarding Zachary's needs based on being a special ed kiddo, we wanted to make sure that things are correct. We have had some issues as of late with insurance approval for his services privately and also an issue before Christmas break when he had a substitute teacher. We want to be sure what we are asking for is appropriate, but more importantly, what is getting is what he deserves by law. The woman was quite helpful and gave us some great ideas. She will also attend the actual meeting with us to help us voice our concerns as a non biased party. She will be there to help insure the legal points of interest are met and our concerns are heard. I am feeling good about that. I am a bit disheartened to realize that again so much falls on the parents. To create and implement forms for the teacher to fill out on his his behavior, social interaction, and other concerns we want to have a record of as well as awareness. It is important that information is passed back and forth from the teacher to us in form so that we don't miss anything. Also she suggested we create a behavior and action plan if Zach becomes upset. Hopefully we can get all of that done and in place soon. The ARD was set for next week and we have to postpone because two members of the group are unavailable and we want everyone there. Fingers crossed it gets scheduled soon and all the things we need changed get changed.
I had a doctor's appointment this AM for my back again...no news yet...then Zach had one at Wilford Hall with the ENT...it is about 45 minutes from our house with no traffic, so it made for a long day. He will go back in mid February for a follow up and to see what we can do about his ear infections, pain, etc. He is basically allergic to most meds so we are very limited on how to treat him at this point. He gave us some home remedies to help with his ear pressure caused by him having retracted eardrum. We will see if he will need more tubes in the future...his first set was at 18 months...right tube came out around age 3 and left was just taken out today...sitting in the ear canal when the Dr. looked in it...so that was good and shocking since we had been told it was out over 6 months ago. :)
Tomorrow off to get my hair cut also in the town we take Zach to for speech and OT and most likely get some things done at home before getting Erin. I don't plan to run around a lot since it is supposed to be bitterly cold here tomorrow. I had wanted to run some little errands, but I think I might wait and tackle those next week.
This weekend we have another play at the Majik Theatre to take the kids to...the true story of the 3 Little Pigs. Should be cute and now we know to get there early...finding a seat last time was not fun.
Found a friend here that is willing to go to sewing classes with me and train for a 5K...super excited. I hope we can accomplish both and I am up to doing it all. So far I have read the chronological bible each night...done two scrapbook pages with plans to work on more this weekend.
Off to bed now...

1 comment:

Jo Mama said...

I hope that evertyhing works out with Zach. I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be to coordinate it all. I have said it before and I will say it again, you are amazing and he is lucky to have you! On a side note, glad to hear you found a partner in crime for the 5K. That is something I would love to do, but definitely need a motivator. Good luck.