Monday, February 1, 2010

Here I am Lord...

I don't usually put out there my feelings on Church or Religion...For a lot of reasons. I in no way shape or form want to push my feelings or thoughts on others and I can't stand when people do that to me. I just think it is private and personal...but with that said this is my blog and those of you that read it, are close and personal people in my life and know I am sharing, not shoving my views. We as a family have really been enjoying our new church and all that it brings to our life having that time together. I have to say a lot of days in Catholic Mass the sermons don't speak to me and the hymns and readings aren't always the most powerful...well yesterday the sermon wasn't as on target to my way of thinking, which happens a lot at the Catholic church, but part I have learned to not getting bothered by and hear the parts that matter...the meaning. Yesterday was a bit different though, both the reading and hymn were awesome...
The reading was from my wedding and one most of us have heard a million times...I dare say one of the most "famous" parts of the bible to be used in times like weddings...

Love is patient,
love is kind.

It is not jealous,
it is not pompous,
it is not inflated,
it is not rude,
it does not seek its own interests,
it is not quick-tempered,
it does not brood over injury,
it does not rejoice over wrongdoing
but rejoices with the truth.

It bears all things,
believes all things,
hopes all things,
endures all things.

Love never fails.

I love that reading and it always is a good one to hear...to reaffirm. It was a great talking point with Zachary too...how no matter how much we as parents get frustrated with our children, have to discipline them, raise our voice or even be disappointed in their choices, we always love them. Our love is strong and it is sure and we don't stop loving even when we are upset. I think he got that and it was a wonderful chance to discuss those emotions with him. Those moments are why going to church as a family was so important to us.

The other part of church that was moving and wonderful was the hymn they sang before communion. One of my all time favorites in church and Brandon's too, so it was a good mix of the two. I copied the words, not to push anything on anyone, but because I thought they were so pretty.

1.
I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin,
My hand will save.

I, who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Chorus
Here am I, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

2.
I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have borne my people’s pain.
I have wept for love of them.
They turn away.

I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak my words to them.
Whom shall I send?

Chorus

3.
I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will send the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.

Finest bread I will provide,
'Til their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them.
Whom shall I send?

I love days when we go to church and leave thinking or feeling...the chance to talk about the bigger things with Zachary or even between ourselves.
I have a lot on my mind with Zach's ARD tomorrow...I need a little faith that it will all work out and I am hopeful God will hear my prayers and answer my fears...

4 comments:

AprilJ said...

I don't know that hymn but I love the words to it. Here's my favorite verse about worry (and believe me, I've drug it out lots over the years): Philippians 4: 6-7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests be known to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus". Thinking about tomorrow with you..

Kelley said...

Thank you for sharing this...and good luck tomorrow...thinking of you.

The Five Fares said...

Hope everything went well today! I love that hymn, too. One of my favorites. Erik and I got to
a contemporary service now and while I love the praise and worship songs I do miss the hymns I grew up singing and this is a classic! Can't wait to hear the report about the meeting today.

Jo Mama said...

Mike and I's wedding Gospel as well. I love it. I think that you and I were on the same page this week. I have been thinking that I need to get my tush back in church, and watching my children's faith has inspired me this week. BTW, Glad to hear that things went well for you today. And, for the record, even if you are the only who reads or comments on my blog, I will keep writing for you! I feel like this is the only way we can stay in touch. Love You!