Sunday, May 2, 2010

A spectacular case of the polka dots - by Zach

The polka dots...
So Friday I took Zach to the zoo for his kindergarten field trip. 3000 kids in the San Antonio area were there for field trips and parents a long with other people who dared go that day. The zoo was a zoo.
We did fine and Zach was good. I took him and a friend around whose mom didn't go. His friend is nice, but seriously never said thank you for one thing...the drink I bought him, tickets to see a butterfly exhibit, the food to feed the animals...nothing. Sigh...I am glad I have taught my kids to say thank you.
It was a good day and we had fun...got home and heard about Erin's fun day with her dad and she even napped on her own in her room. Brandon packed up and left for Abilene and all was fine. Zach went out to swing and Erin joined him when she got up. I looked at my little guy and noticed spots...some small red dots on his legs. By 5 PM they were larger and obviously causing him to itch. They looked more like hives or welts. I gave him benadryl before bed and had him sleep with me so I could keep an eye on him...which I did...I think I slept with one eye open. He had a low grade fever that never went about 100, so I was not sure what to think.
He woke up at 7 and I inspected him...he was worse. I tried not to freak him out, but I was there. I called the nurse line and they advised me to give him benadryl every 6-8 hours and just watch him for issues with breathing and fever, but he should be fine. I wasn't sold, but trying to trust and not freak out. Brandon and I spoke and he decided to come home after the airshow, so I knew he would be home around 7-8. Zach's spots got worse as the day went on and he was itching a lot.
Add insult to injury...The children's medicine recall. Every bottle in my stock pile, and yes, I had like 7 bottles, were on the list. So I had to get the kids to Walgreens to get more benadryl and motrin in case he got a fever. Zach went to grab Erin's shoes for me, which were upstairs...he missed the bring them to me part and threw them over the landing...as my luck would have it they fell right on her face...nice, huge, red show print. Sigh... Off to Walgreens I got with my polka dot kid and shoe print faced daughter. We were a sight.
Got home and waited for Brandon's return. My friend Rachel had looked at a photo I posted on FB and emailed me what she thought he had...When Brandon arrived home he chose to take him to BAMC. The welts were spreading to his neck and face and he was scratching non stop at his neck.
He arrived and told the doctor he had a case of the polka dots. The doctor told him it was in fact a spectacular case of erythema multiforme. A yucky skin condition that would go away, but we might never know what caused. I am choosing to blame the damn goats in the petting zoo. They are smelly, gross and ate my map. So they are being blamed and it gets me out of ever having to go in a petting zoo again. He is on Prednizone (steroid) and a stronger version on benadryl for a few days. The spots have faded a lot and he isn't itching. Thankfully he seems to be on the mend. The funny thing is he had been having 2 awful weeks of just bad behavior, out in space, etc. Then yesterday and today, he was awesome...so strange...below are photos of him I took yesterday before noon...poor kid!!!
His stomach/side -
Arm -

1 comment:

Kelley said...

OMG! Those spots!!! Poor Zach. I about died though when you said you were blaming the goat because it ate your map!!!!