Friday, November 6, 2009

One sided...

When I chose to set out and do a blog it was for a lot of reasons...I have always kept a journal and as I have gotten older I have been worse and worse about writing in it as often as I would like. The actual time to write as apposed to type is much more and my writing is never as easy to read. :) I also just don't have as much time with the kids. So I had stopped for a while and missed it. I realized that this would be a good way to put down my thoughts in a written form while also connecting with people in my life that I don't get to see daily. With a life in the military that is most people. I wanted to be able to share my thoughts, my ideas, my feelings, updates, photos, and a general sense of me at this time. For the most part I think it has worked. Sometimes my blogs are boring and informative. Sometimes they are full soap box. Sometimes they photo filled. Just a bit of everything. But in all of them one thing is constant...me sharing to you, the reader.
I got to thinking about it today as for the 2nd week in a row I realized how much people read and know about me and I am not getting that in return. Several good friends have shared news with me via an email after months of not much communicating. I feel like I have missed out on huge chunks of their lives. I don't know what goes on, but they know all about me. And that is my choice to put it out there as it is their choice not to do the same. But it is hard to be the one that doesn't know sometimes. I do feel like I am missing out. I feel sad that I don't know more about them...that the lapse in communication or sharing of info makes me feel like we aren't as close anymore. And this isn't one friend...I am totally not singling anyone out...this has been several over the past few weeks.
It doesn't make me want to stop blogging. I like sharing, I like speaking my mind, I like having a resource to give information, photos and stories to the people I am close to and don't see often...but I don't like the one sided factor. I feel like I am missing out on so much. Not knowing that a friend has lost a parent, but that the parent was so ill for so long. I never knew...I wasn't able to send cards or encouragement...baby announcements, but no updates during the pregnancies...moves, changes in jobs, etc.
So for everyone reading...no matter if we talk daily (mom and dad), talk often via emails, Facebook or even phone calls or if we rarely talk, but you read this and know what is new with me...Please share. Send me a note, comment in the comment section...join FB, call me, send me a letter in the mail...I don't care!!! I just want to be a better friend to you and know about you. It is so much fun to pick up the phone and talk to old friends that I haven't chatted to in YEARS. I have to say thanks to FB I have reconnected to three great friends from college, several from high school and even my time in Jackson...countless AF friends...you name it. And the best is when we have had a chance to call each other...hear the other person's voice...have a 2 hour conversation after not talking in 10-15 years. Awesome.
So...all I am asking I guess is please drop me a line now and then with your updates, news, photos, whatever. I am not all about me, I want to know about you!!!

3 comments:

AprilJ said...

Let's hear it for comments in the comment section, too!! I love your blog.. and I love myself some FB. It's fun to have a pulse on far-flung peoples' lives. I have no big news (Thank God) so I hope you're not irritated with me!! (Besides, my blog is like my confessional half the time.. I like to let it all hang out). xoxo

Kelley said...

You raise a very good point! I often feel that people know a ton about me, and I don't know much about them. I also often feel that when I see someone in person, I don't have much to talk to them about because they already know it all if they've kept up with the blog. I am quite happy that you started your blog, and I hope you feel you know what's going on with me since I purge it all on my blog! :)

Jo Mama said...

I totally agree with you. I often feel that I am the open book, while everyone else has the diary locked and hidden under the bed. I am so glad that we do blog, as it is a great way to keep up in between the 2 hour phone conversations. :) I have said it before and I will say it again, I am glad you are in my life. I need a book to read too.