Monday, March 1, 2010

Smiles make everything better...

Well Erin has had a nasty colorful runny nose this weekend and again today. Poor things is a snotty mess. And I think her stomach was a bit upset today too. But despite feeling less than 100%, she is full of smiles. Most of all, she is full of smiles for me. She is a little ray of sunshine in my life. No matter what this one is full of love, spunk and sweetness. I feel very blessed to have this little bundle of joy in my life.
I love this photo...how she is smiling at me when I am giving her a kiss.
The two of us...best buddies...we are a bit too much alike, which I am sure when she becomes a teenager I will be reminded of more than I will like. For now it is fun to see the similarities in us and know her so well. She is a pretty easy child, but busy as can be. She is a chatterbox for sure...wonder who she gets that from? In reality, she never shuts up these days. A complete 180 from this phase in Zachary's life. At times I can't lie it is a bit much for me to listen to her yammer on and on all day...she follows me everywhere and has a ton of questions. Why mommy? What is that Mommy? Where is Sally/Zachary/Daddy?" I have to remind myself this is normal and wonderful, albeit a tad overwhelming all day long. It is also a sad reminder of all we missed with Zach at this age. She is so verbal and interested in all things around here where he wasn't. She has been answering yes/no questions for over a year. He didn't answer his first yes/no question (correctly - being that it was echolalic) until October 2007, he was 3. I know these things because with him I wrote it all down. With Erin it all just happened. She asks more questions at 2 than he did even a year ago at 4. It is crazy, wonderful and a little bittersweet. I am however very aware of what a huge blessing it is to be able to enjoy this with her and how special she is. Enjoy, not regret. Enjoy, not compare.
This is Erin and Sally...they are finally becoming better buddies. Erin likes to fill up her food bowl for her even though it is Zach's chore. She loves to bring her food and is always the first to look for her when we return home or squeal in delight when she is waiting for us at the door. I won't lie...I love that both of my children love this dog as much as I do and that she has been a big part of both of their childhoods. She is a great dog.
And finally one of all three of us...Both of my angels. I love these two beautiful children more than I can say. I enjoy getting to know each of them for who they are and see the many differences and the similarities. I love most of all how they love me and more than that, love each other. They genuinely both care deeply about each other. Ask about each other and talk to one another. One of the best things I have been hearing lately at home and in the car is conversations between them. No huge revelations about world peace, but honest asking and listening. It is awesome. They are wonderful friends....I am glad that I have these two little faces to give me so many smiles and help brighten my days...

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Wonderful post...and love the photos, especially the one of all three of you. Erin looks like a little spunky thing, so much fun!!! Hope she feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

As always love the pictures. Never discourage Erin's yammer as you don't want that to end when she reaches her teens. Communication is everything. Right now you just need ear plugs:)

Jo Mama said...

I loved this post. I sometimes feel horrible because I can tune out Q's yammering. I just nod and say mmmm hmmmm. A LOT. Erin's smile just melts my heart. She is just too cute and you can see her little personality all over her face.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks for your comment on my blog post from last night. I know that you get it. More than anyone else in my life you get it. I appreciate that more than you will ever know, and sometimes it does feel good to know that I am not alone. Not in the misery loves company kind of way. More in a I got your back kind of way. I know that you understand that loving the difficult is a complex process filled with guilt and regret and then turned around by sheer amazement at their capabilities and sensitive hearts. I love that you get it. Thanks for being your wonderful self. xoxoxo