Sunday, March 14, 2010

Quick visit...bittersweet ~

This week we were lucky enough to have a very quick visit with my parents. It was bittersweet. I don't say that to sound badly, but just honest. My mom and dad have been living in NC since May of 2008...they moved to NC, but the move wasn't all they had hoped for in some areas. They have spent a lot of time gong out to Arizona and spending time out there. We have been lucky enough living here to be a stopping point along the way. So we get to have visits, but they are shorter than I would like. :)
We chose to not tell the kids about the trip. I thought it would be fun to see how they reacted without knowing. Erin was thrilled. My parents were due in Wednesday afternoon/evening and in standard fashion, they arrive a few hours early. I was still swifting as they pulled in the driveway. I took Erin out through the garage and said, "Look in the car...who do you see?" She waited and looked and then took off and ran to my dad squealing PEE -PAW! Then ran quickly to the other side and ran to NOWIE! It was adorable and so sincere. She was thrilled to have their undivided attention and soaked it all up. Then we went to pick up Zachary from school in the carpool line. He had social group that night, so we were all packed in my car for the drive...His eyes were as big as saucers when he saw them. I haven't seen him smile like that in a LONG time. He was over the moon. He couldn't get over it and hugged my mom for the whole drive up. It was so great. He had a long night, social group and then t-ball, but it was good that he had those extra words of encouragement. They had much more time with Erin since Zach was in school and in reality it worked out well...they got to know her so much better and see her personality. I am so glad they had that time.
We really soaked up all the moments with them the short time they were here and low and behold no arguing, no drama, not one problem from anyone. So nice. The kids loved it and I was pretty excited too. I don't think anyone realizes how much I miss my parents...When they lived in Arizona and we were in CA I saw them a lot more. I drove the 8 hour drive with Zach and then Erin a lot those first 2-3 years...I miss being able to get in the car at 10 and know we would be there by dinner and could just stay for weeks. Now I live in a nice location, have a big enough house for company and wish for the chance for people to come and stay here. Hint Hint!
It was a great few days and ended too soon Saturday AM...we are all a bit sadder, but thankful for the time and hoping the time goes past quickly until we see them on their way back in June. I didn't take nearly any photos...I am so sad about that, but will learn and be better next time...Here are a few...
Erin allowed my dad to have her Boo Boo Bears and blanket...that's love.
Princess Erin...this is what happens when she is the only granddaughter...my mom had more fun with Erin's love for girly things.
Both kids all dolled up...
My mom and Erin...She was glued to my mom the whole time. She said, "Nowie look at me!" Once every five minutes.
Hurry back any time mom and dad...we love you and miss you!

1 comment:

Jo Mama said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. I hate those short visits. Before kids started school we used to go spend a week with my parents quite frequently. I know that I get to see mine more than you, but it is never often enough.