Friday, March 26, 2010

Not a good week...

So Wednesday I headed in for a routine, outpatient, elective procedure. I have had a history of pilar cysts on my head that are not annoying, but honestly painful. I had decided two years ago to have 2 large ones removed and then over the course of this last year a new one has sprouted up and gotten large and honestly painful. It was painful to the touch. I went to Wilford Hall to have it removed...What an event.
Let me say it is a good hospital, but it is also a teaching hospital...so I had an audience and "new" doctor working on me...I had expected this to be simple, in and out, as it was with the other 3 I have had removed by 2 previous doctors. Not so much.
I was there for what felt like an eternity. I left with 16 stitches...13 on top and 3 under that will dissolve after 6 months...Really? They wanted me to wear head gauze and wrap home and that is when I was done. I would have never gotten my kids, especially Zach to return to a doctor if he saw me return in that. Plus, when did I agree to this? When did the procedure change. So now I am on day 3, can't wash my hair yet and I am still uncomfortable. Better, but I can't lie, this hurts.
Wednesday night was bad. I got a migraine around 2 that wouldn't go away...by 7 I was throwing up and by 10 I was on my way to the ER with Brandon. Luckily my friend Carrie stayed at my house with the kids (who were sleeping)...I was there until 3 AM with an IV...We honestly didn't know what to do since I had taken pain meds from the surgery and we also didn't know if this was from the surgery. Oh the fun...
Hoping to shower soon and wash my hair...stitches out next Friday...I am simply ready for this ordeal to be over. This hurt more than I had bargained for and has been way more than I had thought...
Here are some photos if you can see...It is on the top of my head...in the photo you will see a black line to the left...

Doesn't my hair look lovely. They put Vaseline in it before the surgery and then glue on the stitches...yes, it is so lovely. Oh and they want me to not wash it until Monday. Are you serious? I might vomit by then.
So...I am sick also with whatever crud Zach had. Erin now has it and Brandon is a mess. Sinus issues. He looks awful and feels worse. We have had a week. Brandon actually went to bed at 5 yesterday and slept until about 10 and then back to bed after that. I am hoping for health and wellness around here.
So many things cancelled this week for Zach with therapies and plans, but some weeks I can't be super mom and do it all. Erin didn't make it to school at all this week. Zach missed all his therapy appointments and I know his therapist was irritated that I rescheduled again today, but honestly that is how it goes. This week I was just not able to do much more than survive. It is Friday...thankfully. I am going to try to wash some of my hair...i can't wait until Monday people. Wish me luck and pray for this family to get well soon...crud be gone!

3 comments:

Kelley said...

Wow Susan! That is a pretty long line! I hate to hear that it is so painful, and that it was more than you signed up for. Hang in there, my friend!

Eralel83 said...

Oh Susan...that doesn't sound fun at all. I hope it heals quickly. Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

My prayers are for wellness at 245!