Friday, March 27, 2009

Sally!

I don't have a photo to post at the moment, but wanted to do a blog update on Miss Sally.  
We have been watching a bump on her chest for a while now and then noticed one on her head last weekend....we decided it was time to take her in and let them take them out and run some blood work. She went in at 9 and had 3 lumps removed...one on her leg, one on her ear (the brown one) and one on her chest area.  The one on the chest was the largest and she now has 6 stitches there and some yucky drainage...the one on her ear has I think 3 stitches and looks good other than the shaved hair and the one on her leg you can't see.  She stayed until 5 and we went to get her at the Vet...they were going to not have a Vet there over night so we wanted her home with us. She has her cone to wear so she doesn't lick or pull her stitches out...Erin already calls it her hat.  We bought a new kennel for her...we got rid of her old one when we moved from TX and will need to get one again when we move back since Sally has thunder storm issues and must be kenneled during them...so I ran to town at 6 to buy one for her...She is doing well and in good spirits.  It was a nice price tag for the Vet visit, but I have to say, money well spent if it keeps Sally with us for as long as we can. 
Sally will be 9 in August and has been with Brandon and I since our first year together...we got her right after my birthday in 2001...she was basically abandoned by a family that got her for Christmas and escaped to our friend's house (April and Clayton).  They tried to return her, but they people didn't care and hadn't even named her. We got a call from Clayton telling us that our dog was at his house.  We drove over and the whole way (all 5 minutes across the town of Enid, OK)...I cussed out Brandon and told him NO WAY can we have a dog...we can't pay our bills...I am working two jobs, you are gone 16 plus hours a day, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I was really not wanting a pet.  We got to the Johnson's house and they had Sally out back in their dog's igloo dog house...she crawled  out and sat in my lap...She was so sweet and so darn cute I couldn't resist her. She came home with us a few days later when we had a dog pen built in the yard behind our condo.  
Sally has always been sweet.  She is crazy too. She ran away for 8 hours in Enid with her boyfriend Capone....lesson learned, Sally stays on a leash.  She has destroyed numerous items, mostly in her early years....a 49er doll of my moms, an expensive sweater of mine, pillows, bedspreads, you name it...
But Sally is a member of this crazy family. She is a good dog and loves us as much as we love her. When Brandon deployed and I was pregnant she literally never left my side when I was at home...I left for work and she would stare at me out the window and was there when I got home.  When we had Zach we were nervous that she might be too wild with a baby...boy were we wrong. She became Zach's favorite thing...he used to go to our back window and babble to her and just laugh.  He would feed her dog food by hand when he was little and follow her around the yard for as long as she would wander. She has always been so good and gentile with him and now with Erin.  Both kids adore her, but are sometimes too rough...she never barks, never growls, never shows her teeth...NEVER!  She is just so good with them.  
She is my very best walking friend...we go for LONG walks and just love being out together.  She is a great dog and I am so thankful we have had 8 years with her, but I want more!  Thanks to everyone for thinking of her today...she is home and doing well and we are so happy to have her back...it was actually way too quiet around here today without her!

3 comments:

AprilJ said...

So glad Sister is doing good. You've got to post a picture of the poor sugar with her cone. I hadn't thought about their running away escapade in a long time. I also remember you calling me on my cell and Brandonson saying not to answer it until we had found the doggies. That was a long day... Hug her for us.

Anonymous said...

OH Poor Sissy. God love her, she even is beautiful with her "bonnet". Give her loves for me. Love, Nestie Oh Grandpa even said to give her a love......:)

Kelley said...

Poor Sally! I am happy to hear she is doing well post-op. That one on her chest looks pretty severe. I loved hearing the story of how you got Sally...and that she is so good with the kiddos. I knew her in her crazy days, so it's sweet to imagine her with them now...