Monday, March 9, 2009

Reading, reading reading...

Just finished reading Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult...I really love her books and so far I haven't disliked one of them...I am might not agree with some of the ideas in them or the way a character ends up at the end, but I like her writing style and enjoy her plots and stories.  This one was about an Amish girl accused of murdering her newborn...I enjoyed it a lot, learned a bit more about the Amish and thought it was a good story.  I got a nice chance to read today with all of us being a little sick and the weather being crazy windy and cold...so TV was on and I took the chance to sit cuddled with the kids and read...very nice.  I am going to read a Nicholas Sparks one next...should be quick and I always like his books...then I will pilfer through my pile to see what is next after that.  
Brandon's commander's wife surprised me last week by dropping a book off on my door step. It is called, "Born Fundamentalist, Born again Catholic."  We had a long talk about religion, church on the base, etc. a few weeks back and she thought I might enjoy this from one Catholic to another...I often find it hard with people when they invite you to go to a religious activity and you say no...they then think you don't believe in God or that you are anti their thoughts...in reality I think I am just sort of uncomfortable with some of it...too much talk of God makes me get a bit freaked out.  In reality I believe in God, I pray and I used to go to church all the time...I loved my church at college in fact.  Before we got married we had planned a Catholic service and as some of you know things turned out a little different we had a non denominational minister marry us at the last minute...I had a rough time with the church for a while after that and then we just didn't find a church we liked...had kids...it is hard to take them to Catholic service...so we got in a rut and haven't be participating in a while...we are hoping that will get better when we move.  But Catholics don't tend to join bible studies...a lot of women here do that stuff...their kids go to Vacation Bible school, AWANAS (spelling)....we didn't think that would be best for Zach....but it has taken on an attitude here that we are bad people, not good Christians, etc.  So sad, but true...So I am excited to read this book and see how it relates to those thoughts I have had about fitting into this world that is more open about God in a way that I am not sure I get....
I have more to say on other topics, but will add those to another post....Off for now!

2 comments:

Kelley said...

That sounds like a pretty good story...may need to get that one next! What Sparks book are you reading? Religion is such a tricky thing...in Abilene, as I'm sure you might remember, the first thing most people ask you is, "What church do you go to?" It drives me crazy!!!

AprilJ said...

I'm glad you liked Plain Truth.. it was different but good. I just finished up few books that were quick and easy reads "Shopaholic" series. Silly but good, you dont' have to use your brain much.

I bet Zach would enjoy AWANA. Kara does and my brother and I went when we were little in AZ and I have lots of fun memories even still.