Sunday, November 30, 2008

Space shuttle!

Well, I have to say there isn't a ton about Edwards that is brag worthy...we are super close in driving distance to Disneyland, pretty close to LA beaches and reasonably close to my personal favorite San Diego. You can't knock the weather most of the time...that is when the wind isn't blowing you over...I like heat, so I am happy with a desert climate. But for the most part it isn't much to write home about, or blog about for that matter...
But...today we got a fun surprise only available here at Edwards and okay, in Florida. We got to see the space shuttle land.
Now, let me just say this up front for those of you unaware or simply have forgotten. Brandon is a test pilot and a big thing for those guys in the possibility of becoming an astronaut...not going to happen in this house just to say it like it is...not that he isn't a smart person, but I would kill him. The idea is not one we can talk about....Background...The Challenger blew up on my birthday...yes...January 28th, 1986. I was in the 3rd grade and watched with my class in the library to see the space shuttle take off, and instead disaster occured. Many years later the Columbia disaster was only a few days after my birthday in February and occurred over the state of Texas where we lived...So I am a bit nervous about the whole space shuttle stuff. I think I have reason.
Today I flicked on CNN for some news updates and non cartoon TV time...the lady announced just as I turned it on that the space shuttle was about to land at Edwards due to weather. Every other shuttle landing since we have lived here has happened while I was out of town. SO...I grabbed Zach, threw clothes on him...he was still in his pajamas at 1:30 people...and ran out the front door with him pulling up his pants. We heard the huge boom of them entering the atmosphere and I knew it was minutes away. We searched the sky and then right over our house I saw it coming in...so cool I have to say. The flight line is super close to our house. It is a great view from Zach's window actually. So we watched and cheered in the street. I didn't have my camera with me, but seriously with my bum thumb my photos aren't the best today.
Since then Zach has asked me when the space men are coming to our house to see us. He is so funny. I told them maybe then went to Domingos (local Mexican restaurant in Boron) because they were hungry. Seriously there are photos of them there and apparently it is a big hot spot for the astronauts...but he laughed and told me I was silly. Now I am craving Mexican food....
I did get my photo cards for Christmas picked up...not the best, but people I needed them done so I could address them and get them out of here...I am on a deadline. I am going to try to get a letter written so when in town Tuesday I can run off copies and have that done too...hopefully I can avoid paper cuts while folding and stuffing...ha ha ha...that was a funny joke!
Seriously my thumb is healing up okay...I head to the flight Dr tomorrow to have them take a look, and authorize my urgent care trip since apparently it isn't authorized yet. Oh Tricare and this darn base really boil my blood. We have no ER or urgent care on base, 35 minutes away, but I have to get authorization from a Dr to go....on a holiday when no one is working I had no one to ask...seriously people!!! I needed 3 stitches, I think it warranted a trip to urgent care.
I am off to start my letter I think...so many things on my to do list I tell you...busy is good though...

2 comments:

AprilJ said...

That is so cool about the shuttle! I couldn't agree more with you about Brandon and NASA. Good call! Good luck with the base docs tomorrow (or Tricare or whomever) :)

Kelley said...

Your writing was in rare form today, I quite enjoyed it! :) How cool to see the space shuttle! And can't wait to see that Christmas card!!!