Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Kieth Olberman's comments...

Please check out the link below if you want to know what this blog will be talking about...I was very moved by this...enough to post it here and want to talk about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHyy8gkNEE

Now, I know that there are several of my close, dear friends that read this blog are so done with my liberal rants and sharing of my views on some subjects...However...for those of you that really know and love me, you already know that is how I feel and see the world and love me anyway. And we as adults can agree to disagree. I know many of my friends see a lot of issues through the eyes of their church and God and I respect that far more than you might even know. I am always willing to hear those "arguments" and talk openly about topics...so this isn't to preach, but just food for thought. I see things a little differently and hope you can try to respect it and appreciate where I am coming from.
On a simple note I think what he said is sums up how I feel pretty darn close...I think all people, black, white, polka dot or techno colored deserve the same rights...I don't care if you are gay, straight, bi or undecided. I love people for who they are...I want them to be happy and have the same choices I have and I am very firm on the fact that I don't feel like I have the right to take anyone's choices away from them. I don't think it is my place to judge anyone for their choices or to condemn them. If you beleive in a God or higher power, then it is up to them to do the judging. At least that is how I feel. I don't think I should be able to make choices for you...it is just a simple basic Susan fact of how I feel. I guess I look at things from the perspective that at a different time and different place many of us now that have rights might not have them...
Unlike Mr. Olberman I don't have to look far to find a familiar face that is gay...I have a few gay friends and one in particular that matters a lot to me....someone I admire, respect and hope that one day he can do whatever he chooses with his life and not have a different set of rules than me. I don't think he is wrong to be gay or evil as some say...I think that is absurd...I know him and he is wonderful. I just think we all deserve the same shot at happiness...not too much to ask.
So...in the end I hope one day my kids grow up to live in a world that doesn't do so much judging and more accepting...I never thought I would have a child with Autism...but God sent me Zachary...all of his beauty, his spirit that is sweet, kind, loving and innocent...his intelligence and his humor...it all came in a package that I loved from day one...the day I was told he was different and there was a label put on him I didn't cry for me or anything I lost...I cried for what that label might change or take away from him...for the unknown...for the choices and chances he might never get. I have so much optimism when it comes to him and I don't doubt he will go on to lead a full and complete life one day...I do think that if God had given me something else I would learn to handle it the same....accepting and being hopeful for him to find happiness within that...if one day a child of mine told me they were gay I would hope that I wouldn't have to be sad for the things they wouldn't have and wouldn't get to enjoy....because really that is all I can think that would make me sad...I wouldn't want them to not be able to be married and have a full life.
So in Kieth's words....what is it to you? Ask yourself why it bothers you or why it doesn't...no matter what you think or feel it is food for thought...
I am off to read Twilight now...she chose to love a vampire!

1 comment:

Kelley said...

You, truly, are amazing. Your words gave me goosebumps. And what I love best about you is that you aren't just these words...you live by them. I can personally vouch for the fact that you do not judge and you just want people to find happiness. That's a rare thing, indeed.