Tuesday, November 4, 2008

WOW!

Well the long wait is over and the election results are in...and folks it wasn't a squeaker as they predicted for a while.  I cried when the news came across the screen seconds after the CA polls closed...my vote didn't count here, I voted absentee in Texas.  I watched the screen and cried.  It is a beautiful moment in history and I am glad I am able to sit here and watch it unfold. 
I don't care who you voted for or why.  I have my opinions and you have yours.  The great thing about this country is that we all the right to have those, voice those and then vote according to those.  Today this great nation made a choice about our next president based on people's desires, opinions and hopes.  No one can deny that it is a great day to see a man be elected as president that at one point couldn't have even voted in an election.  I think that is beautiful.  I was raised in the South...a state that at this exact moment, and it is late...the results still are not in.  I loved growing up in North Carolina.  I will admit though that racism and ignorance was there when I was growing up and is still there...sadly it is all over this country.  But tonight I hope we can come together as a nation and work to make changes that need to happen to get this country back on its feet and lead us in a better direction.  Both candidates wanted changes and I hope changes are on the way.  I am just so moved to see people come out in such huge numbers, with so much passion and so much conviction to support these candidates and to be a part of one of the most American things...the right to vote and be a part of the democracy.  I love it. Tonight I will go to bed and be excited about what might lie ahead and about the changes that already took place...
No matter who you voted for or wanted to win, you have to at least see that...or for my sake, try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful and moving moment in history for which we all witnessed. May God give this new president the strength and wisdom to set our country back on track.

AprilJ said...

Good post. I voted in TX as well... we never get our duckies lined up in time to vote in our new state EVERY TIME!