Friday, April 16, 2010

Reading....

I love to read and I am so very thankful that I have passed that love onto both of my kids...tonight Erin and I laid in Zach's bed while he read a story to us. Such a nice sweet moment. I love that he loves to read. I love that Erin loves right now to be read to and asks to hear stories. I look forward to trips to the library this summer too! That is a favorite memory of mine from growing up. My dad used to take me to the Clemmons Library. It was little, but really nice. I am sure my dad read most of the history section there within the first few months we went, but I loved that he took me with him. I always got to pick out a few books and loved feeling so special as they were stamped and given to me to take home. My dad always "quizzed" me on my books, but that I didn't mind, because I was proud to show I had read them and knew what they were about too. Honestly one of my favorite things I did with my dad as a child.
I have been reading a lot lately. Just finished Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah. Good book...it started off a bit slow for me, but mid way through I was into it and enjoyed it a lot. Her books are always a good, easy read that are great to grab and enjoy. Before that I read Jodi Picoult's House Rules. A story about a boy with Asperger's (high functioning Autism). I really enjoyed it a lot and while I disagree with her basic stance on Autism, she is a firm believer that vaccines cause it, I liked the book. I naturally found myself drawn to the mom and really could feel her feelings, as most of them are ones I feel myself. I enjoyed the perspective of the sibling and the child himself with Asperger's. I lent it to my mom and I am interested in her take on it.
I started a new one today, Falling Apart in One Piece, One Optimist's Journey through the Hell of Divorce. It got great reviews and I thought it would be a good read to learn how to see the optimism behind an event that is usually so difficult. So I am excited to see how it goes. I have a stack next to my bed with many books I can't wait to get into...I love that. I always try to make time to read, I carry my books in my purse and car when I am out and about...if I have time in the carpool line, while Zach is at therapy, waiting for an appointment...I have my book!
No garage sale tomorrow...cancelled due to rain as was Zach's t-ball game. So we are planning to head to the BX to look at a big girl bed for Erin. I know, is she already this big? I am not sure I am ready for this step, but I can't deny her growing, changing and being ready just because I am literally weeping at the thought of moving her from a crib. My baby is almost 3. My baby! I would honestly love to have another, I won't lie, I would. I am not that person that is all done and so happy with that, I am done because it is the right choice for our family, our situation and the wise choice. I love being a mom, I love the two babies I have been blessed with, and I would do it all again. So, this is a bittersweet moment for sure for me. She seems to be ready and excited, so lets hope this goes well. The BX is having a big sale on beds, so it seems like all the signs are pointing to this moment...grab the Kleenex! One good thought came to me while I was lying in Zach's bed reading with him...now with her in a bed we can do the same thing and that will be just a great.
I am off to do and start planning my day...we have a lot of things on the agenda and a fun birthday party tomorrow night to go to as well...I think I will read a bit in my book too!

2 comments:

Eralel83 said...

I sure miss my "personal library." :o) I haven't been really reading all that much and miss it...hopefully once everything settles down, I will be able to get back into it.

Hard to believe that Little Miss is getting so big.

Love you and miss you as always!

Unknown said...

It's wonderful to hear your good memories with dad at the library. Wish more children enjoyed reading. Half way thru House Rules. We'll have alot to chat about when I am finished. Know Miss Erin will love her big girl bed. I can't believe she is turning three....Yikes!!!