Monday, April 27, 2009

The long, long, long overdue update....

Okay...here is the lowdown for all of you that have asked and shown interest. I have not been ignoring anyone, but literally stressed to the max and trying to make a good decision based on us and our family...Sometimes it is easier to do that with less input and distraction.
We traveled to AZ the day after Easter and got there late that night...Got the kids settled, to bed and my parents versed on Erin's needs.  She was getting over an ear infection, so I was a bit worried about leaving her.  Zach, Brandon and I got up early and headed to the airport and off to Texas.  Zach was remarkable on the whole trip and I really had to sometimes remind myself, he is only 4 and this is a lot for me, so it must be for him. He didn't whine or cry about the nine million houses we saw or things he never got to do...He was a great little boy. 
We got to SA and right away I was thrilled to see green and trees. The traffic that I had heard so much about was no where to be found and the humidity was really minimal compared to growing up in NC, so I was happy to see that the two things people had freaked me out about were not bad.  We got the Randolph and the TLFs and got our stuff in the room...base is so pretty and really a step up from most we have been on...I am glad however we chose to just not try for base housing there....the wait is 3 months and the houses while super pretty, are old (1920's) and have small backyards.  I have done base housing three times now in two old homes that were actually torn down after I moved out...I am not really interested in living in Temp living for 3 months to live in an old house again...call me a snob.  
We got to see the elementary school on base, which we are now for sure we will put Zach in...he can get a transfer since Brandon works there and go without an issue, so we are going to do that since they are a superb school...we had been concerned about some of the houses due to schools and this helped take that off the table. I think he will be happy there and it sounds like they are the best choice.  
We then went and looked at a few rentals...the first was not good.  We actually knew the people at the second one and liked it, the third beautiful, but overpriced for us.  
So then our trip took a detour.  We met with a guy that is in the AF, but also is a real estate agent...I know it is hard to grasp...he showed us some new builds that of course were breathtaking and awesome. I loved the floor plan and felt really "at home" in them.  
The next day Brandon had told him we would go with him part day to look at homes in a neighborhood we were very interested in living...heard a ton about the school there and the neighborhood in general. I was blown away with pretty green trees, a park, a pool, etc all in walking distance.  We tried to look at two rentals in that area and both already had rented...so our luck. We then looked a 4 to buy....one was great, but had some things that would have to be done to the house...white carpets for one...but we loved the neighborhood.  Our friends from Abilene actually live around the corner and watched Zach for a few hours while we continued the parade of homes...I was carsick and had the worst headache ever at this point.  We looked at a few more places to buy and all were just not as good as the new build or the one with the unfortunate white carpets.  
We spent all day looking and really were worn out...the next day we hit a preschool to look at for Erin on the way to the airport and headed home on overload.  
We got to AZ and tried to start thinking about what to do...this is when we started to forget our goal for this assignment and I think the carrot was being dangled too much in front of us.  We started to put in a bid for the house with white carpets....based on the neighborhood mainly.  I got cold feet and really started to think about several issues with the physical house that would make me unhappy that we bought it...renting it, sure, buying, not so much. 
We then looked at the new build with a lot more interest...it was the house we loved, floor plan awesome and hey it is new, so it is in perfect condition.  Up until last night we were buying it.  
Unfortunately as each day has gone on there have been more an more unforeseen expenses popping up that we didn't know about...then they wanted us to close next month, but we don't get there until June 23...that was my breaking point.  We would have put all of our savings into this home and it felt like they were pushing us too much...what if one of the cars break down, both are 6 and 9 years old, the 4 Runner is the younger one, but has been driven all over the past 4 years being here in the middle of no where.  What if there is an emergency...not to mention the furniture we need to fill a few of the rooms since the house is a lot bigger than this one on base.  
I broke...
I told Brandon last night I can't do it.
We had wanted this assignment for one reason...the kids, mainly Zach.  We wanted to give him a better school, access to therapies he can't have here and the chance to have friends, activities and outlets he has lacked living here.  We wanted Erin to have the chance to thrive and do things too and not be stuck being shuttled around or with a baby sitter while we are with him. We wanted a life that gave us the chance to go to the zoo, parks, sea world, travel, etc.  If we did this house all of that would essentially be gone...we would be strapped for money all to live in a house.  I had always said when we moved to SA I wanted to rent.  I let myself agree to look at the houses and be fooled into thinking the tax breaks and good market there for housing was a reason to live like a pauper for the next 3 years.  I don't care if we make the money back, in the mean time I want to be able to enjoy things. I want to go out to eat when I want and have some fun!  I have lived here, HELL, for the past 4 years with no chances to do a lot of things...I want and frankly deserve to enjoy this next assignment.
A house is a house...I am so not as into all of the razzle and dazzle as I think some people think I am...mainly my husband.  I don't care if the house isn't perfect, I am renting it...I pay my rent, I keep it clean, I give the keys back when I leave and move on...sounds great!
So we called Mike and Tabitha last night and accepted their rental...the second one we saw.  They are nice people that we met way back in Enid....their house is 2500 sq ft...so bigger than what we have now by 700....we will have to be creative with a few things, but won't be buying new rooms of furniture...we will need a kitchen table since our dining room set will be too big...it will go in their current den...which will work out fine.  The house has a lot of paint colors in it and we did ask if we can paint...I am much more vanilla in my taste on house paint...they said sure and I think we are okay doing that...the yard is huge, so good for the kids and Sally...it is a corner lot on a busier street, but the yard out back is fenced and that is where the kids will play, not out front...the rent is a great price and they are being very accommodating...leaving the fridge and offered to leave other items...they are also leaving their swing set, so we might try to sell ours prior to the move.  
In the end I know it isn't the choice that makes us giddy with excitement, but I also don't have an ulcer forming anymore.  I am not scared to live there and worrying about money, I am excited to get to the area, meet people, get involved and do things.  I think this was the right choice and I hate it took us 2 weeks to see that, but we learned a lot in the process.  
So...we will be moving to 245 Turnberry Drive in Cibolo, TX in June!

2 comments:

Kelley said...

So glad to hear that you guys have made a decision! I, for one, think you really have to listen to those little feelings you have. You made the right choice for sure, one you can feel good about, and one that will allow you to have some fun and enjoy life. A house is a house...sounds like the rental was the way to go, for you guys! Congrats!!! I've been so curious but didn't want to push...knew you would post when you were ready!!

AprilJ said...

Congrats on the casa! I can totally relate to the house-hunting/overloaded brain headache. In fact, mine started hurting a little bit in sympathy for you (we were doing the same thing a year ago, hard to believe). Can't wait to see pictures.. I hope your next few weeks pass quickly but not too quickly. Hugs.