Wednesday, April 1, 2009

1 out of 150 and one is mine...

I apologize for the amount of photos I have posted...I went through his pictures and was just unable to narrow them down and even this is with cutting out half of what I had...I wanted to show my Zachary over the years to you as we see him and have grown to adore him. He is an amazing boy who has taught me more about life, love and purpose than I ever could have learned anywhere else. He is smart, kind, funny and loving. He has always been a happy boy as the photos will show...that was the hard thing with him...where was no trigger that we saw...no moment it changed...he has always been a happy child with smiles and laughter. In that sense, we are beyond lucky.
1 in 150 children are diagnosed with Autism...1 in 94 boys. It affects boys 4 times more boys than girls. It is the fastest growing developmental disability. More children will be diagnosed with Autism than Cancer, Diabetes, Down Syndrome and AIDS combined this year. It receives less than 5% of the research funding than the other diseases...there is no known cause and no known cure. It can cripple a child's ability to communicate with the world around them.
April 2nd is world Autism Awareness Day. You can search the web and look at lots of sites with information if you want to learn more...I encourage you to do that...not for me or for Zach, but for yourself....this is something we are going to see more and more of until there is an answer to this mysterious disability.
www.worldautismawarenessday.org
www.autismspeaks.org
I have been quite lucky in all honesty. Zach is high functioning...he is speaking very well and able to communicate with us. He is happy and full of life most of the time. He does have days where he is less alert than others...we have some bad tantrums that sometimes come out of no where...obsessions over things. But he is insanely smart...he can read, tell time, do some math, spell...he knows all of his states and can find most on a map. Knows some about money...all of his months, shapes, seasons, colors, etc. He loves maps and has an atlas he reads at night along with his children's encyclopedia. He is loving and kind. He gives the best hugs. He is a wonderful little boy...he didn't ask for this and most days I am sure he struggles with things he can't even tell me about...but he is making huge strides and doing so well. We are so blessed to be his parents and get to share his journey of life with him. He has enriched our lives beyond words. NO, it isn't a cakewalk being the mom of a child with Autism. I have many days I cry and feel like I have failed him. I live with so much guilt that I can't even describe to you unless you are in my shoes. But I also know how lucky I am...I want the world to know that this face, this child is the face of Autism. It isn't a cut and dry example. It affects so many children and so differently. He looks so normal and in many ways he is your average 4 year old...
So I chose to share some photos over the years of him...I apologize for the amount...I am so proud of Zachary Jay!















































































My wonderful angel....I love you Zachary!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog. And what a beautiful grandson I have who has added so much to my life. Our entire family is blessed. The pictures brought back many memories and lots of loving tears. Thank you for being the wonderful Mother you are to such a special child.

AprilJ said...

I loved looking at the pictures all the way back to when he was tiny, too.. He is so sweet! And I had forgotten how sweet he looked in his early baby pictures. (((hugs)))

Kelley said...

Loved the post, and all the photos too! It blows me away that he knows all his states and can locate them...I can't even do that! He is a very special boy, and you are doing a great job with him. I really love the photo of you and Zach hugging (there's some kind of net in the background)...I think that captures pure joy and love, and it's just perfect...

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing his and your story! The photos were wonderful to see as well. - Natalie