Thursday, April 9, 2009

Inspritational

I just watched Larry King with Micheal J Fox as the guest...I was blown away by him and his philosophy on things.  I remember adoring him as a child and teen on Family Ties and in the Back to the Future movies...I felt so sad the day I heard he had Parkinson's....I now look at him with nothing but admiration and inspiration.
He is so full of optimism and hope.  He isn't sitting there feeling sorry for himself or playing the victim and he could be.  He could easily feel like he was cheated in life, but he is thankful for so much...I loved that. 
He also spoke about the fact that he is himself first and someone with Parkinson's second.  I just bought a book for myself that I started today, ironically.  It's called, "10 Things a Child with Autism Wants you to Know".  Basically one of the 10 things hit on that very topic...they are the person they are aside from autism...Zachary is Zach...not a child who is Autistic.  That hit home for me.  Especially now with us moving and him entering into elementary school next year.  I want to do my best to give him so many outlets to meet people, to do and become and not have Autism be the focal point. I don't love the behaviorist, but she made a good point on Tuesday.  She told me that she feels like aside from absolutely necessary therapy he needs she would not involve him in special ed or special needs programs and to mainstream him as completely as we can from here on out.  I have felt that way for a while and just haven't had the resources here. Let his Autism be something that is there, a part of him, but not what defines him.  
Michael J Fox also spoke about stem cell research. I know that the decision by Obama to overturn the Bush legislation was controversial to many people and I do get the moral, ethical and religious issues people have with it.  I respect that. I also vehemently disagree.  I would go as far as to say I would donate embryo of my own to help with the discovery of a cure that would save or help someone I love...to find the cause and cure for Autism for one. I live with this every day and know there are so many families that have it much worse. I watch my son at 4 years old read...he knows things he shouldn't know yet.  He is amazingly smart...he is loving...he doesn't know how to lie. So many things I could say about him...but sadly he doesn't know how to do the simple things most children know innately...how to make friends.  He can't determine by facial expressions easily what someone is thinking. He has a hard time maintaining focus and eye contact.  He is overly touchy and lacks boundaries...he will hug everyone...things that as a mom are painful to watch because they aren't easily taught and they do make him different.  I worry as he gets older not about him being able to go to school and do the work...not about him feeling loved or being successful in things. I worry about him finding friends, falling in love and having lasting relationships.  Maybe it sounds like nothing to you, but it isn't your baby.  I have two children that are amazing...Already I am seeing how different they are in ways I didn't even know before.  Erin wants my attention all the time...Zach just started to really crave that. Zach taught himself so many things through watching TV (very visual learner) books and repeated access to things.  Erin is learning by me showing. She is talking and picking up on things right now that we didn't see in him until he was about 3-4.  He repeated from TV or what you said verbatim.  She is talking and interacting.  It is so strange to see the differences so clearly.  I can say that if I was able to change him tomorrow to being a child without Autism I am not sure I would...now that I have had this child for almost 5 years, this is the child I know and love.  All of him...good and bad, as I love Erin.  I met him and have loved him all the while he has had Autism.  Now, would I have not wanted him to have it before I met him, you bet...what mom wouldn't? And not for me, but for him since he is the one that lives with this.  But this is the child I have now and to me, he is fantastic just the way he is.  I do think that searching for and finding the cures for diseases that rob people of their quality of life is so important...I know many of my reading friends disagree and I get that, but as I have asked before, try to just be open to why I see it this way...I don't want to change your mind, just share with you why I think this way.  
Anyhow...I watched this man tonight share his story and felt so moved.  Like Zach he didn't ask for what he has, but it is there. He is living with it, not suffering from it.  He is still the same person inside despite the tremors.  He is an inspiration to all of us.  

3 comments:

Jo Mama said...

I love the way you embrace Zach for who he is. This was an awesome post. You are an inspiration too!

Kelley said...

Beautifully written...

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written post about a beautiful child raised by a beautiful mother................:)
Love you, Nestie oxox