Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Facebook Fiasco - Inquiring minds want to know..

Okay so I had two requests for my facebook fiasco story to be shared, so here it is for all of you that care.  It is quite pathetic, but I actually have a good friend who had the same thing happen to her last month, so I am not feeling as pathetic. 
I went to a small private school as most of you know....my class had around 55 people give or take in it and so I was close with the grades around me as well.  I dated someone 2 years below me my senior year...I also had a few friends in that class.  One was a guy, we will call, B.A.  His brother was in my grade, but they were NOT close.  He and I became good friends, talked often and really had a great time together. We had a computer class together.  Well he ended up liking me, a lot. I broke up with Ben during that year and I think B.A. always hoped I would date him. He was great on paper, but the feelings weren't there for me.  I was always honest with him and tried never to get his hopes up.  A few years later I saw him while back in NC...at this time I was no longer with Ben and actually a few short weeks away from being engaged to Brandon.  We hung out, had dinner, but in the end if he liked me, he never had the courage to act on it.  I tried to stay in touch, but it didn't happen.  A few years back a boy in his class passed away and it got me to thinking about how short life is, wonder if he is okay, etc. I contacted his brother and got his email...wrote him and nothing.  
Well a few nights ago, last Thursday to be exact...I was instant messaging my friend Mike on Facebook and he told me that B.A. was now on there...I sent a friend request and honestly thought he would ignore me.  The nice things about Facebook is you can ignore people and not be friends with them if you so choose...well he accepted.  I sent him a short note and said hi, it was good to see him on there, etc.  He wrote a short note back quickly after.  So I then sent the standard FB note after not seeing someone in 15 years...How are you, how long have you been married, how long have you lived where you do, etc.  I asked I think 4-5 questions, very basic....said a few nice compliments and teased him that hopefully now with technology we could keep in touch...very sarcastic Susan.  Well the next time I checked that evening, his name wasn't on my friend list, his message to me was there, but name was a different color and no photo...I tried to search him and couldn't find him....went to Mike's page and couldn't see him on there either...very odd.  I told Brandon and he looked on my account to no avail...then got on his and found him right away.  So then we knew...I had been BLOCKED.  What the heck?  Really?  Seriously?  Are we still in high school?  I asked a few stupid questions and happened to tease him about staying in touch and I get that?  So he accessed my photos, my info and then blocks me when he so chooses...why ever befriend me?   Was it his wife or him that had the issue?  So then yesterday Brandon and I looked on Brandon's account again to see if we could find him and he had blocked Brandon...I had told Mike what happened and I assume Mike told him and there you go.  Okay....now I know the guy is nuts.  As problematic as my relationship with Ben was, I have NO regrets that I dated him in high school and not B.A.  
So that is my facebook fiasco.  I was blocked.  At first I felt like I must be a stalker, but now I have seen the error of my ways...he was nuts, moody and broody in high school and I guess he still is now as an adult.  So sad that something as innocent as facebook is now a malicious tool to get back at someone 15 years later for not reciprocating a crush...honestly!  
There you have it April and Becky... 

3 comments:

AprilJ said...

Well, I hope he feels taller or more well-endowed after acting like an infant. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you feel better getting it out on paper. Meanwhile, I had no idea you could block certain people... how do you do that??!!

Susan said...

It is actually a fairly complex process...that is how I know it wasn't just an accident or idea on a whim...you must go to the bottom through privacy and there are links to do it...if not ask Brandonson.

Kelley said...

Crazy stuff, that Facebook. I didn't even know you could block someone!