Saturday, August 14, 2010

Final week...wow!

Where the hell did my summer go? That is my question for you all and myself frankly. How did August get here so fast? Why is school about to start again and how did both of my kids get so big over the summer?
I can say...summer of 2010 was great. I am so very sad to see it go, but so thankful for the memories, the fun and the things we got to do. Sad to not get to do the 100 things on my list I had hoped to get done or try, but we did a lot, had fun and survived with no major problems. To me, that is awesome.
We finished the week with the last day of Joy Camp. I have to say I wasn't sure when summer started if I was okay spending over $600 for both Zach and Erin to be a summer kids day out program 2 days a week...but I loved it, they loved it and we all needed that time. It was a good thing that I plan to do again, next year for sure. :) Erin did so well at that school, she will go back in a few weeks there 2 days a week. I feel badly because today her old teacher from her school last year contacted me to let me know she would have her again...ugh...But, I made my decision for other reasons than the teacher and I am okay with it...time to press forward.
I signed her up for dance class that starts the day Zach starts 1st grade...that would be the 23rd...a week away. I am so not ready to have him be a first grader. Hell, I am not ready to have him back in school from 8-3. I hate the long days without him...really, I do. If I thought I wouldn't go insane and damage him from my lack of significant intellect I would home school just to have that time to enjoy him learn and grow. He is a challenge for sure some days, but what a joy he is as well.
We have his ARD next week, Wednesday. Lots of good thoughts, prayers, whatever your thing is, we could use you doing that for us...hoping his new teacher is wonderful and we get some support for our questions and needs. I plan to have a daily communication log as part of the requirements from the teacher to me and hope that helps a lot of the issues I had last year. In the end it is up to him to do the work, try hard to follow what he is told and curb some of the behaviors we have worked on so hard this summer. I know he can do well and do more than he even knows...I am excited to see him do it.
We really just are all so surprised how fast our summer slipped away. How much fun I have had with my two beautiful faces...lots of swimming at the pool this summer which is wonderful now that I can have both of the up there with me and no issues with nap times and one of them needing me to hold them all the time. Erin swims in her tube or vest the whole time and Zach can go the length of the pool on his own. He even went off the diving board while at my parents in NC. He has come so far!! We had fun with friends too. We enjoyed making memories as a family and looking forward to traditions we are starting together.
I am so thankful for so much. Some days I am simply exhausted mentally and physically by the tolls of my life. For those of you who read this often and that know me well you know that I adore both of my children. But I have also been honest in the challenges that come with our situation. I am thankful that even with the hard days, we have had many more good days. That we are able to do so much more than many others with similar circumstances and that we never loose faith and hope in our future. NO, the summer isn't all sunbeams and rainbows around here. It is hard for Zach to be out of his routine. It is hard for him to have so much "free time" that most kids love...he gets lost in it. It is hard for Erin to have therapists in her house during her fun summer time. It is hard to schedule fun and have therapy still scheduled. It is hard to see your child have regression in areas you thought you had moved past long ago. But, it is all part of this process and the world we live in and the life I wouldn't change. I am far from perfect. I have a lot of personal work and growth to do on me this year. I have seen and learned a lot and know what changes I want and need to make within myself. But, I am so thankful that I have this fantastic family...goofy, loud, squabbling, quirky, snugly, demanding, bossy, funny, smiley, loving family. I really know how lucky I am and trust me that I thankful for it all...even the end of a great summer. Because I am so thankful I can remember how great it was years from now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They grow up fast but at least you are enjoying each and every moment with them and will look back with pride. Prayers, fingers, eyes crossed that all goes well on Wednesday. Love you, love the family and so happy that this summer was terrific.