Thursday, September 30, 2010

News...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br7nbQSIyhg

I have agree with Ellen and I am glad she said what she did. I am so sad to see so many stories on the news about this. Bullying in our schools is an overwhelming problem that has gone overlooked for far too long. Now in the age of 24 hour news media we are hearing these horrible stories and are learning that this is happening all the time. It isn't new, but it is possibly becoming worse. With the use of technology (facebook, my space, you tube), it is easier to spread rumors, embarrass and bully kids publicly. It isn't just gay students, it is any student that is different or threatening to the norm. Someone who isn't able to defend them self easily and is subject to having their self esteem shredded.
People don't realize how easy it is to destroy a child's self worth. Yes, children are resilient in many ways, but daily bullying is unimaginably cruel. To go to school and feel humiliated, unsafe and worthless is not what any child should feel or should it be what any school allows. Many schools know and are told of the events that happen and simply do nothing to change it. No protection for the children being bullied and no punishment for those doing the damage. It needs to stop.
As parents we should all talk with our children about this. From a young age we need to let them know it is never okay to bully anyone, let someone you know be a victim of bullying or to not speak up if they are being bullied. Let your children know they can come to you and tell you things, all things. Show them they can trust you and they will. If more children had families to turn to in the face of these bullies then maybe they wouldn't turn to suicide, but have choices. Have support and love to help them get through it.
I know what it is like to be bullied. I know what it is like to have people make school hell. I know what it is like to tell teachers and ask for help only to have it make the bullying worse and the problem brighter. I know what it is like to have my self worth hit rock bottom and to start believing what others say. I know how deep the wounds can go. I also know what it is like to have an amazing family that gave me love, support and a fresh start when I was a victim. I was lucky. So many kids endure so much worse and make choices that at the time they think are all they have.
Sorry to be so emotional about this, but it just makes me so angry to think of children and teenagers suffering by the words and actions of other children and teens. It shouldn't happen and we need to find a way to stop it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN...!