Saturday, September 18, 2010

Important info...

I read this blog (See in my list of blogs I read, Diary of a Mom) and love it. I was especially touched by the topic today...

Not only do we have the deployments to deal with, but the moving and the lack of good locations. We move often and most kids on the spectrum tend to not be good with changes. The uprooting is hard for them, hard for the family and leaves no safety net of support. When you move every 2-4 years, making friends that will be there when you have an emergency or just need a break, gets hard. Your support network is often left behind at the last base. So much of the move is spent focusing on living in an area with good schools, getting therapies set up and worrying about making things routine in the mix of chaos. And sadly, most military bases are not stationed in great locations with the resources to support kids on the spectrum.
It is an issue I think our government and nation need to take seriously. Not just because it affects me. While at Edwards we had 3 kids in our TPS class diagnosed on the spectrum. Another has developmental issues. Two in the class above us and countless others I met while there and since moving. A large enough number that it often makes me think. In fact, if I could up all the people I know with kids on the spectrum, I would dare say there are more that are military affiliated than not. It is a large number considering such a small part of our population is in the military.
So, I simply put this out there not to be preachy, just to open up the opportunity for discussion and possibility. One day I hope this won't be a topic that hits home to as many Americans, but until it is, I think we owe it to ourselves, the families and most of all children who are living with this every day to do something. If you do nothing else, simply open your mind and educate yourself to what Autism is. Reality is, it is everywhere around us and unless you are living in a bubble, you will come into contact with someone who has it if you already have not.

No comments: