Sunday, September 19, 2010

Another weekend here and gone...

Oh how the weeks fly once school starts. I am not sure how to describe it...I feel like I'm trying to press the pause button about a million times a day to slow things down a bit. The kids are just growing up right before my eyes. Brandon tells me at least ten times a day, "This is a good thing, this is what we want them to do." He can speak for himself. I like them little. There I said it. I like them when they are little and mine to enjoy. These ages are so much fun...it is going too fast!
I really love Erin's age right now. I have to say I enjoyed 2 and 3 with both of my kids. So much fun, so much learning and discovering. SO much personality is blooming. And really the big one, they are so stinking cute at this age. SO CUTE! She is a doll most of the time and so very funny. She is loving school. Well, she loves her W/F school a lot more than the T/Th, but she loves school. She is really learning a lot already and the coolest thing is that she comes home wanted to share it all with me. She is literally bursting at the seams with information for me. I love it. I didn't get to enjoy that with Zach at this age. He was still struggling so much with his speech. Our drives back from Palmdale consisted of me asking endless questions and getting nothing in response. He just had no conversation then. Erin, is constant chatter. It is amazing how excited she is to share her day with me. I am loving it. She is very into pretending right now and using her imagination. Constantly wanting to be someone from a show or act out something. She plays with her toys in ways that make me stop and watch her play and just smile at her imagination. She loves being involved in games...well being involved in any activity makes her feel like big stuff and she loves that. She loves her cuddles and time to be held still too and for that I am so grateful. She is so much fun that if she didn't like school so much she would be home much more.
Zachary...oh my Zachary. He is growing up before my eyes. Not only is he getting big...physically he is growing. He is heavier for me to pick up and carry and that is killing me. I love this child so much and he loves to be loved (just like his sister). I am so thankful for that, but realizing the days of me picking him up and carrying him anywhere are going to be behind me before I know it. He's fitting into his bigger size clothes, his feet seem huge and in general he is looking bigger, older. He is also acting older. This weekend in particular I saw things. First Friday he made me pull over the car when we got out of the parent pick up line to look in his binder. Their color (behavior is kept on a color chart for all kids) is in his binder along with his communication log from his teacher. He told me I needed to look at it first, that he was on yellow and knew he would have some quiet time at home. He gets rewarded for green or purple , but other than that has quiet time. I was so impressed with his honesty that I actually rewarded him. Last year he would have hid his binder or screamed and cried when I tried to open it. This was a mature choice...one I was so proud of that I couldn't help but smile at the yellow, thinking I will take yellow as long as I get this from him with it. More than once this weekend Erin was asked to clean up a mess before moving onto a new activity with us. She more than once refused, standard Erin as of late. Zach jumped right in and not only offered but did clean up for her. As much as I was upset he did it for her only showing her that she will indeed get out of it if she protests, I was proud of him for wanting to help her and trying to be the fixer. Never have I seen that so much as I did this weekend. He has for 5 nights in a row showered in our room, turned the water off without us ever telling him, taking a shorter shower, dressing and appearing to tell us he is done and ready for bed or his snack. Wow. He has done chores without being asked and asking to do more. (We don't give money for chores). He has made several very mature decisions that have surprised me and made me feel so proud. He is a good boy. He has a huge heart and beautiful sweet side that makes me so proud to be his mom. With all of his struggles he continues to push forward and try. I admire him so much for the person he is.
This was a good weekend.
We did nothing special or out of the ordinary. In fact we did not a lot of anything. But it was fun, full of love and laughter and I saw so much. A good weekend it was indeed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. Love the 2/3 age the most!! Been lucky with great toddlers. (remind me of that when they're teenagers!) I also completely get the crazy fast weeks!! It's like I blink and it's Friday! As Chris and I stress about how we're going to get things accomplished and juggle all the things we need to juggle every week we finally discussed how this is just life now and we need to embrace it because it's not going to get any calmer! If we're constantly stressing then it doesn't make life very enjoyable. So now we try to just do the best we can and roll with it. Doesn't mean I don't have an occassional freak out moment. ;-)

Kelley said...

Loved this update...thanks for sharing!!!