Friday, October 2, 2009

Purple Ribbons...

This is Domestic Violence awareness month and as many of you know I spent a few years in Abilene working at Noah Project, a domestic Violence Shelter. Prior to that I worked at another place in Abilene, Family Outreach where I did supervised visits for parents that had lost custody of their children and exchanges between parents that needed a mediator because they had violence in their relationship. In college I had interned at CPS and always hoped to work there when I was out of school...the Air Force life changed a lot of that, but my passion for helping victims of violence is there still and I hope one day to return to helping them first hand. I miss that work...I will forever remember the women and children I met...I often wonder about many of them and how their lives are today. Noah Project was a place that changed me...what I saw there and learned, no school books can prepare you for that reality. I don't think you ever become comfortable with seeing it. I am so grateful for that job. I learned so much and I felt helpful, purposeful and useful in ways I hadn't before. It opened my eyes to a lot...

There are many videos that portray Domestic Violence and Child abuse out there, but one artist has several on the topic and also has an amazing voice...Martina McBride. This one is geared toward Child Abuse and so moving...I know this is a sad topic, but if all of us take the time to think about the victims and in some small way to something to help people in this situation...it does help. When I worked at Noah the volunteers and donations meant the world to the shelter. I hope here to get involved with out local services in the coming weeks and do what I can to help...

So here is the video and food for thought...what can all of us do?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmy1V1YGQe4


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog and that beautifully sad song brough tears flowing. I would hope people would get more involved and understand also that this month is in many ways overshadowwed by Breast Cancer Awareness month. Both are important and both should be treated with equal time and awareness. It takes someone like you to get things rolling and hopefully donations for the cause.