Monday, November 29, 2010

One of those moments...

I had intended to post this and blog about it before we left for Thanksgiving, but things got busy and it just didn't happen.  So I will do it now, because I think it is important to document some things and be able to go back in a year or two to look at the changes.
Zachary has always been a very smart boy, there is no question there.  His struggles are in areas of focus, communication (socially now, but younger it was the whole ball of wax), fine motor and gross motor skills have always been a challenge too. He often gets frustrated when he has a hard time getting things and this is when the meltdowns usually occur.  He always loves to do workbooks, school work, etc.  The things he doesn't are usually when I bring out writing, lacing, shoe tying, etc.  
A week before we left I randomly handed him a dry erase board with lines on it...found it at Walgreens and it is a great tool for kids because it is lined like they have on school paper.  I asked him to write his name for me on it...I went to fold laundry and came back to this...
Now it might not seam like much to you, but it made me cry. Not only did he write his name very well, but he wrote it 13 times after my one time at the top left.  I didn't tell him how many times, he filled up the page on his own...no complaining.  He was so proud of himself and it took me a week to erase it after.  Little steps like this are what we are seeing right now.  Maturity.  Acceptance.  Harder work ethic. Desire to get better.  He still has many moments of refusal, whining and frustration, but they don't consume our lives as much and aren't as constant for him...
We are so thankful for these moments, this growth and most of all Zachary.

4 comments:

Eralel83 said...

And such neat writing too!

Anonymous said...

Loved his writing skills....:) So very proud of him.

Jo Mama said...

I rarely comment anymore...things have been pretty hectic around here. I just wanted to say that I SO get this...These little things that seem so small but make us well up with pride and tears. I am so happy to hear that things are getting a little easier for you and especially for Zachary.

Kelley said...

That is wonderful! And such good handwriting too! Better than most adults I know :)