Friday, June 27, 2008

It's the little things...


The saying is true...it is the little things in life that really matter. Tonight I was hanging out with Zach watching some Thomas and Friends before bed. This used to be an evening tradition and recently has disappeared. Tonight, out of the blue, he asked me if he could watch a cartoon. We had time before bed and he had been good, so sure...why not. He has been talking so much lately and not just talking...he is making sentences, asking questions, continuing conversations and just being engaged in the world of speech. It is beautiful!
Well we were cuddled up on the sofa, a personal favorite time for me. He had his head on my stomach and was stretched out on me. He sat up, looked at me in the eye and said, "I love you." Then laid his head back down. A few minutes later, he simply patted my leg and said, "I love my mommy. " Wow. I can't begin to tell you what this felt like. For most parents of a four year old boy, this might be comoon and expected. Not here. For us, this is huge. Barely a year ago my beautiful boy was about 75% echolalic...basically it means he repeated what we said to him, word for word. So, you say, I love you and he says it back, but there was nothing behind it. We were in such a scary place a year ago. Not knowing what he would be able to do...boy has he taken our expectations, hopes and dreams and blown them out of the water. I am so proud of this little boy. He has learned so much and proven so many people wrong. He is so smart. He is also loving and kind...affectionate, happy and full of life. He is social and has this whole little set of friends at both of his schools. No, he isn't "cured". But he is doing so well. He is making huge improvements. He had issues we still need to address and ones we work on with him daily...fixations and frustrations. But in one year I can't begin to tell you what I have seen. I am brought to tears of joy just thinking about it.
I am so thankful and proud to be his mom. We are blessed beyond words to have him as our son, never burdened. He has given us so much and ever day he teaches me things I needed to learn. My Zachary Jay...I love you too!

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Wow...what a great story. It really sounds like there has been so much improvement in him, which is wonderful to hear. I know that puts your heart at ease...

Karla said...

That's awesome, Susan!! I have a feeling he'll be improving by leaps and bounds from here out and will be proving the Drs. wrong. WAY TO GO ZACH!!!