Friday, December 31, 2010

Time to drop the ball after dropping the ball...

So many of you have noticed I have been off the radar on here for a bit and with good reason...the stomach bug reared its ugly head in our home, 4 times, all separated in time and in long lengths of duration.  Not fun, but we are now hopefully at the end of it.
After my last post Brandon and Erin were sick with the crud...I fell ill on Christmas Eve around 2 PM my night went dramatically downhill.  I got a bad fever, the chills, and all the joy of the stomach bug...I was in bed all night.  I missed all the fun Christmas Eve fun, leaving the reindeer food and cookies out...reading "Twas the Night Before Christmas".  I missed it all, even putting the kids in their Christmas pjs and off to bed. I woke up the next day hopeful I would be able to do more.  I saw everyone open gifts, I think I opened some too and then I was off to bed until 3 PM.  Since then I haven't felt too well, but am hoping i am on the mend for good.
So...catch up time since I dropped the ball and was out of the loop...
My mom and dad decided to come and spend Christmas with us...it was planned a while ago, but 3 weeks ago my dad ended up in the ICU with AFIb and we thought the trip was scrapped for sure.  He called me later that week, said he bought tickets and they were on for the trip...so we didn't tell the kids.  We took them to the airport under the idea that Brandon was going TDY...they were fooled and surprised.  It was awesome.


We had a lot of fun prepping for the holidays all together...The kids were so thrilled to have my mom and dad here and we really felt blessed that my dad was able and willing to make the trip.  We made cookies for Santa...


 I am always so thrilled to watch the kids with my mom and dad...watch relationships grow, bonds tighten, memories being made and traditions being formed.  It is a beautiful sight and I love seeing the commonalities between certain people...my dad and Zach are very similar in a lot of ways...
Despite my being sick, we have tried to have fun and enjoy.  The weather has been less than cooperative with lots of rain and up and down in the temps.  I wish we had more time, but always grateful for what we do have.  Life is short and it is never lost on me how blessed I am with a wonderful family.
The children were spoiled rotten with way too much on Christmas...mostly my fault since I am the shopper of the house.  :)  But, they are only 3 and 6 once, right?  Zach finally got his DSi and has been loving it every moment since.  He got some other fun thing, a marble science maze, books, lots of fun board games.  He was such a trooper through me being sick.  He tends to spin out a bit during breaks, but has done pretty well.  I know he misses he routine, school, his friends and the stimulation of being busy with activities.  But, he has also enjoyed many "panjama days".  Erin is very much a mommy's girl and had a harder time with me being sick, but loved the added attention of her Nowie and Grandpa around.  She has had a lot of fun showing off for them and being, Erin.  She is a hoot and there is NO off switch with her.  But we love her to bits.  She got lots of doll items...new stroller, nursery baby center, baby clothes, accessories, etc. She has had a ton of fun.
Another highlight of this time was a trip to the Alamo Bowl....Arizona made it this year to face off with OSU....Brandon and I bought tickets the night we found out they got in the game and it was here...it was a lot of fun, even if Arizona didn't do well.


I didn't feel my best, but had a lot of fun rooting for my old school and being at a football game...
Last night we took my mom and dad to the Riverwalk to an Italian place we love, Paseanos.  It was a nice adult night out and a chance to talk with no child interruptions....
All in all it has been a nice break and hard to believe that it is almost over and we are about to start 2011.  I am excited that a new year is about to start, but a little sad to see 2010 end.  I feel so blessed right now with so many wonderful things...a great place to live, wonderful schools for my children to grow and learn, both kids have made great friends and are involved in fun activities...Brandon is enjoying his job and most of all the fact he still gets to fly the B-1 in Abilene about once a month....he is so thankful for that.  I love my friends here and the chance I have had to meet such a fun new group of people...so many opportunities to make friends and I have embraced it fully...allowing myself the chances to meet and know people.  I have had a great year, but am excited to make resolutions that will be more meaningful to me next year and see where that takes me (for a later post).  Right now life is good and I can't complain. I feel so lucky to be where we are and for all we have in our lives.  May 2011 bless us just as much and all of you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're all on the mend! Yucky though to be sick on Christmas! Loved the surprise visit from your parents. How fun for the kids! I hope your dad continues to improve and stays healthy! Happy New Year!

Kelley said...

Poor you, sick for Christmas. Glad you were able to surprise the kids with grandparents! Love that pic of your parents, it is so good. Happy new year!!