Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year....Resolutions? Goals!

I like the idea of having goals/resolutions, whatever you choose to call it, each year. I think it helps me look back on the last year and see where I "failed" to complete things I had wanted to do or to be proud of what I did do.  Either way, I like setting some goals...sadly I seem to look back each year and always wonder why didn't I do that.
So...
Last year I didn't stick with several things, but some things I did and a few things that weren't on my list are accomplishments I am proud of too.  I quit soda last spring...sometime around March, but it wasn't a Lent thing. I just decided to see if I could go without and now almost a year later, I am soda free. I was a soda junkie, so for me, this was huge.  I have always needed to drink more water than I do...mostly for my colon that isn't the best at doing its job. :)  I hoped this would force my hand. I still need to drink more than I do, but I am way better than I was a year ago.
I completed a 5K with some friends.  I still hate running.
I joined a gym last spring and went a lot....loved the classes and had so much fun. But in the summer it dwindled.  A big reason was child care.  I loved having Erin there, she was in a safe fun room and most of my friends that went were moms from her preschool, so she had friends with her a lot.  Zachary's child care wasn't the same.  No real regulation, supervision...I never felt like it was a good fit for him and wasn't comfortable going.  We loved the splash pad and used it a lot. After my beach trip I couldn't get into the groove of going...so by October I quit.  I am sad about it, but it was a good choice since I wasn't using it enough.  I am putting my money into other personal improvements. :)
I didn't catch up on scrapbooking.
I did read, but not as much as I had hoped.
I did try to do better about my personality traits...we are all works in progress.
So this year....my goals are a bit of the same and some new.
2012 GOALS
1.  I did quit the gym, but I have a goal for keeping fit.  I looked back on times when I was most fit or thinner and all where when I was walking a lot...Living at Edwards I walked a ton and I was in good shape there...so I am back to walking.  I love walking and it is a great for Sally.  So my goal is walk her every day.  On days we can't bc of weather I will try to use my treadmill or head to the base gym.  It isn't the Y with my friends and close to the house, but it is free and an option I can turn to now.
2.  Catch up on my scrapbooking!
3.  Continue to read...a book a month is my goal!
4.  Learn to Sew!  I have signed up for like 5 sewing classes and never have had it work out....so I have a friend that is a great seamstress...going to have her give me some lessons...
5. Work on having my nails taken care of...no weekly manicures, but do it myself, clear coat, clean looking nails.
6. Make time to do fun things with my family. We spend so much time on school, therapy, work, etc...I need to make it a point to make time for fun.  Enjoy all the moments we have as much as we can.
7.  Continue to work on being a patient, loving, compassionate mom and wife.  To tone down.  Lower my volume.  Think before I speak and before I act.  Apologize for my mistakes.  Be present!
8. Spend less, shop less...save more.  Pretty simple, but oh so hard!
9.  Find more ways to give back and volunteer...I miss that and enjoy it whenever I get to do it.
10.  Be better at communicating...text less, call more.  Send mail.  Surprise someone with a little token of love or friendship.  Go for coffee with a friend.  Take time to talk and listen.
I hope that in 2012 I can accomplish a lot of things on this list and above all, try my best to make myself the best me I can be.

No comments: