Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011...

This Thanksgiving we stayed at home, here in Cibolo, TX.  We didn't have any visitors from out of town, so we chose to go eat at the club on base.  I am not sure if I ever posted about my unfortunate Thanksgiving disaster a few years ago, but I had a mishap and ended up with 7 stitches and a few hours in the ER...since then I have not been to keen on cooking unless we had a good reason.  Two small children who are picky eaters, is not that reason.  :)  
So this year since we had no plans to cook at home and be busy in the kitchen, we decided to do something we have talked about for quite some time...Meals on Wheels.  It was a wonderful and rewarding experience. I am so thankful we had the chance to do this, to take the children and share this with them and to spread some love and joy into the lives a few people.  It was a great way to start a day that is really meant not to stuff your faces and get ready to shop, but to be Thankful...something I think we all forget from time to time.  
It was a very emotional day for me...I just couldn't stop the tears.  I felt so thankful to be able to do this for others. I felt so sad for the people we brought meals to and wanted to do more.  I felt an ache to get back to doing social work...after years being home with the kids and wondering if I would go back to that or find something else, I think this sealed the deal on where my heart is.  
I am not sure how much the kids really understood...we did our best to make sure they knew the meaning of what and why we were taking meals to people.  I do know we will do this again, hopefully soon.  I want us to never forget how lucky we are...how blessed we are...how fortunate we are. 
I am thankful for a lot this year.  I know how much I have and how often I forget to be thankful for it all. How much I have taken for granted and how much I don't show my gratitude for.  I know that there are people who I don't say I love you to enough and say thank you to as often as I should. I know that I want to work on that and make sure the people in my life always know I love them.  
But most of all I am glad that on a day called Thanksgiving, we did both.  We were thankful for so much and we participated in giving back...I think that is the best I have felt about this holiday in a long time.  
Here are a few photos from our day...
The children delivering the first meal...
 At the club after we ate...Zach was posing, mostly to hid the pumpkin pie he was wearing all over his pants...
 Photo by Erin...Look how good Brandon looks!  Lost 20 lbs and I think gave it all to me. ;)
 Me and my blessings...

 With their daddy....
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

3 comments:

Eralel83 said...

Such a neat tradition to begin with the kids. I think that giving back to others on Thanksgiving was a great idea! I, too, take so much for granted. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

A truly beautiful family in every sense of the word. I hope each and everyone of you know how very much you are loved......!

Unknown said...

Great post Susan! And..oh please! You both look wonderful!!!